[OP - F4] Fools Gold [Complete]

The snow sparkled like diamonds. She supposed it was an overused simile, and more than a bit cliched, but it was difficult to deny the truth it held. The fat flakes that fluttered before her shimmered in the various lights that decorated the main square, transfixing the young woman who sat alone on the snow-speckled bench. Her own form was already dusted with the white stuff, but if she cared at all, she gave no indication. Like the snow, her now-dampened armor shone as she leaned forward slightly, planting her elbows on her knees, and clasping her gauntleted hands before her. Her blue eyes, however, did not sparkle. Only a few shades darker than Aincrad's daytime sky, her eyes were one of the first things that most players took notice of. Generally, they were wide and laughing, but the loneliness that accompanied the nighttime worked to dull them. The time of year certainly did not help either.

Christmas is coming, the blonde reminded herself. Her full lips disappeared into a tight, white line as the thought settled in. Before donning the nerve gear, she had loved the holiday season; it was a small victory if she could wait until Halloween before setting up her tree and playing Christmas music. But being confined within the virtual world had robbed her of much of that cheer. Days that had once consisted of time with her family now only reminded her of their absence. She sighed heavily, attempting to dispel the negative emotions with the warm vapor that drifted from her lips. "Reminiscing doesn't clear floors." She spoke dryly, in a voice just above a whisper. Her purpose was to beat the game, and get back to her loved ones. There was nothing else to it, and no amount of self-pity would hasten the process.

Despite such thoughts, the knot in the pit of her stomach remained.

Edited by Lessa

Pink curls sprinkled with white specs bounce up and down with every step Audacity takes. Ground laden with packed snow crunches underneath her boots, leaving footprints that track her movement behind her figure. A chilling gust of wind hits her pale skin - that seemed to appear far lighter than normal due to such drastic weather - and sends a shiver down her spine. This Floor of all others reminded her most of home in Canada. Winter always left her in a daze with how powerful it could be during the beloved season. She longed to go back and bundle up in thick sweaters her mother knitted while sitting on the couch playing board games with her siblings. Now all she had was her painfully Eidetic memory that would never forget any of those sweet memories. Every alluring scent, colorful picture, and heart-throbbing feeling stuck with her - they wouldn't leave her alone, poking and prodding at her mind relentlessly. Why hadn't she gone insane yet? An easily answered question, yet the one she couldn't fully answer for the first time in her life all the while.

Her legs tire from walking on unevenly paved paths surprisingly. A bench is spotted in the distance, a savior for her small desire to relax. With heavy steps she approaches a young woman with striking features and lovely blonde hair that her mind took in quickly - she'd never forget the appearance of this stranger now. Yet another reason to socialize - not the best one, no, but good enough for a lonely soul. "Mind if I take a seat here?" Pink eyes scan those before her and she's taken back to see something other than a determined or innocent, up-beat look to them. Perhaps not everyone was the same in Aincrad as Audacity had once thought. Certainly this odd look wouldn't be forgotten, even she could leave this petty memory behind.  "I have no desire to bother you. There should be no hesitation on your part to oppose the request if you wish to remain alone." 

One thought ravaged her mind with every second spent standing, staring into darkened eyes full of emotion: Did her's appear to be in such a dreary state as well?

Edited by Audacity

The voice startled her. Each muscle tensed in unison, and her right hand grabbed instinctively for Hell Rose's ornate hilt. Had the weapon been equipped, she would have most certainly drawn it, or worse. Granted, the blue-eyed swordswoman could do no damage in the safe zone. But drawing one's weapon was also no way to start an exchange, or make any friends.

"Oh," she breathed, willing her panicked heart to remain parked within her chest. Her gaze swept the young woman only long enough to gather the most basic information; to stare at her any longer might give an air of intimidation, and that was the last impression that Lessa wished to portray. The girl was a newcomer, judging by her attire. But had it not been for her low-level equipment, Lessa might have mistaken the pink-haired stranger. There was a unique emotion that lingered within her rose-tinted gaze, a sort of distance that was common in many frontliners. The other player had constructed a wall, and if higher floors weren't the culprit, Lessa found herself wondering what it was that haunted her.

She nodded, chapped lips curling into a soft, sheepish smile. Her response to being approached had not been very pleasant. "I'm sorry," she confessed quietly. "Habit." She shifted her tall body further down the bench, dragging a small pile of snow along with her. "You're no bother," Lessa continued, motioning to the other end of the long seat. "Feel free."

"It's certainly been a while since I was last here."

As he entered into the town of Snowfrost on the fourth floor a sense of nostalgia came over Calrex as he gave a sigh. His breath condensed as it exited his mouth, forming a faint fog in front of him as he walked through the streets. He hadn't planned to really spend much time in the settlements, merely going in every once and a while to check up on supplies and such. If it weren't for these infrequent visits he probably would try to be by his wife's side at all times to keep her safe. He never was an orange player himself, but he could tell from others' experience that it wasn't an easy path to tread.

"She should really just get Redemption done and over with. I don't understand why she's holding out on it when there's no real benefit and a lot of things lost with the status."

Putting his hands into his jacket pockets he looked at the snowfall that descended from the sky, gently resting on the shoulders of his jacket as he looked over, seeing a couple of players there. One he had recognized from a previous encounter, although it was a particularly brief one. The woman who was known as the legendary guildmaster of the now disbanded Guardians of Aincrad, one he had heard many times in the past. "I guess I might as well say hi."

Rubbing his eyes to try and rid them of the small dark circles that had formed underneath from his lack of sleep he walked over, putting on a friendly face as he gave a wave, "Hey, looks like you guys are enjoying the weather. It's nice to see you again Lessa."

Looking over at the girl sitting next to her the bluenette gave a nod and a small bow, "It's nice to meet you as well. I'm Calrex."

Audacity simply inhaled and exhaled heavily through her nose - she was unsure of what the blonde woman was doing, but the quick motions had all of her senses on full alert - until the other spoke with a tone that assured Audacity that as of now there wasn't any danger at all lingering beneath the worn, yet strong look to her face. Luckily a calm nature had marked itself as one of the sole features of the pinkette's personality. Not once had she budged or changed expression; She was afraid of all the possible outcomes taking over her thoughts, yes, but causing a scene wouldn't help the rapidly beating heart within her chest at all. Most people wouldn't possibly be able to retain such information during a flight or fight scenario - yet, she wasn't most people.

Her shoulders lift but drop just as suddenly: a shrug to let the blonde know she doesn't mind. The higher-leveled player had obviously been through a struggle of sorts, something Audacity most likely would be able to take in herself and know what the experience was like on emotional and physical levels. However, some memories were lacking - her life in Sword Art Online was pathetic compared to a lot of traumatized players. This had to be one of them; the kind that'd seen death and abandonment. "Understood. We all have our moments." Her voice level had been soft all of this time and would remain that way as it seemed the best tone to use around the blonde. 

Swiping at the bench back and forth with a nearly frozen hand - not that Audacity minded much as of now, the cold had become part of her at birth - to rid of excess snow before sitting on the iced bench. Bliss feelings enveloped the young woman's body as her muscles and bones were given the chance to rest for a bit though she kept a sturdy, straight posture. Crossing her legs, she rested both hands onto her lap before turning her head to engage in eye contact that hopefully hadn't been too uncomfortable or unnatural for her seat companion. "Much obliged. I needed this to be frank - my mind has been too occupied to focus on the limits of my body, so it must have been luck that presented me with this bench."

Pink eyes shift as sensitive ears pick up the sounds of approaching footsteps. "The weather is lovely." She tucks pink curls behind an ear, nodding respectively towards the man that already knew the other woman. "The pleasure's all mine, Calrex." A hand slides down to make contact with her cheek that's now covered in a red blush rosier than her lips, before resting in her lap once more. At first she'd perked when Calrex had said "Lessa", a name so very close to the one she owned among reality. But in this game she had lost that ownership and gained a new name from the start. "Lessa. A beautiful name with many meanings: all far from negative, of course." She pauses, taking a moment to wetten dry lips. "I take it you two have met sometime before now? Unless, of course, Calrex happens to be a psychic with mind-reading abilities."

I looked out among the fields of white. This was definitely one of my most favorite floors. Its atmosphere was a beautiful canvas of white. It was the closet I had ever been to snow. I had come to this place plenty of times, for many reasons. To see the landscape, to kill things and to even just escaping the overpopulated first 3 floors. But, as cold as the weather was built to be, I was never really affected by it. Will over mind perhaps? Anyways, after taking in the view that the teleport landing offered, I made my way through the main settlement, until I found a bench in town square. The square was almost empty, save for one female warrior. She wasn't looking in my direction, so I hadn't a clue if she knew of my presence . She too, was sitting on a bench. I looked into the sky. I had to give it to the people who trapped us in here, they backed the place with many beautiful sights.

I looked back down into the square to see a girl with pink hair enter. She walked up to the lady sitting on the bench. I didn't hear the interaction, because it was out of my field of hearing. But, whatever she said, it startled the warrior siting on the bench. However, despite this, she calmed down rather quickly. They both sat down. Not too long later, another figure entered the square. This one was male. He walked up to the two girls on the bench and they all en-locked in conversation. I sat where I was and watched the events transpire. I decided not to engage in conversation yet, for I knew not one of them...  

"Calrex." Her voice was pleasant, if not a bit distant. The expression she wore matched her tone. She offered a small smile, and a curt nod of her head, to make it known that she recognized him. But she did not feel entirely comfortable offering much more than that. While she had had previous interactions with the man, she did not know him well at all. Furthermore, running into players from the past often put the blonde on-edge. It was a bit like running into an old classmate decades after graduation. Everything has changed.

But to be rude was not in Lessa's nature, and so she continued to smile at Calrex until the pink-haired youth spoke again. At the mention of their prior meetings, the expression faltered slightly. "We've met, yeah," she replied politely. "It has been a while though." The sudden grouping of individuals around Lessa made her shift slightly atop the frozen bench. Usually, the woman found herself comforted by the presence of others; she had always been considered a social butterfly among those who knew her best. But she had sought the quiet refuge of the frozen fourth floor to do some much-needed thinking. To make matters worse, she had the strange sensation that someone was watching her from afar. So while she did not necessarily dislike their being near her, she felt oddly exposed at that precise moment.

Attempting to bury such emotions, she directed her attention back to the other woman. "Thank you," she replied gently, in regards to the compliment she received. "My brothers gave me the name, ages ago. I guess it just sort of stuck. They're the ones who actually got me into video games." The words slipped from her innocently enough, but the moment that they sunk in, she felt a bit nauseous. How long had it been since she had talked about her family that way? "Anyway," she managed, hoping to keep the waver from her tone, "what was your name?"

A delicate flake alighted upon the palm of his outstretched hand, and he marveled at the way it caught the muted rays of a cold sun. That was not to say that the sun itself was cold- he imagined that it must be as hot as it had always been, or at least that it would be, if this world were anything more than pixels and scripts. But for as long as he remained a captive guest in this artificial world, and beheld its artificial sights with his artificial eyes, pretending was all that he could do. So it was because of this that he chose to pretend that on this particular floor, the sun itself must be suffering from a cold. In this land of ice and snow, the golden sphere seemed slighter than he remembered it- a shadow of what it was meant to be. It breathed life into this barren land in choked wheezes, and the faint light of the sky shuddered every time a stiff wind rolled through the hills and the trees; on these occasions, he could hear the groans of branches which ached under the weight of their heavy garbs of white. Perhaps he was projecting his impressions of the floor as a whole upon the singular entity of the sun- or perhaps these musings came from somewhere else entirely...

Behind him, a trail of footsteps stretched far into the distance, and only continued to grow in length as he added to their numbers with every plod of his boots. Clasping his fingers together, the snowflake melted within his now-closed hand. Azide lifted his scarf to better shield his neck from the biting winds, staring wearily into the distance as he attempted to make use of his numbed digits, which fumbled stiffly around the winding piece of snow-speckled fabric. Time and time again, he seemed to find himself drawn to this very floor; it had gotten to the point where he no longer questioned the magnetism which compelled him on occasion, as something interesting tended to happen during each expedition.

He nestled his hands into the folds of his pockets, which offered little refuge from the ever present cold, but would at least shield them from the frosty breezes. Blinking slowly, his eyes narrowed as a band of figures became visible in the distance. Trudging forward faster now, his eyes opened increasingly wider, simultaneously lighting with an old recognition. Somewhere along the way, his hands had slipped from the comforts of his coat, and his plodding had broken into a near-glide across the frozen field.

"Lessa!" he called out, with a wild wave of his hand.

Just exactly how Lessa felt - Audacity couldn't tell. Usually her extensive knowledge managed to guess the feelings and personality of someone with ease upon meeting them. All this took was a scan; one swift take-in of whomever she desired to know about and instantly everything that specific person did became cataloged in her mind: revealing more about themselves than they were trying actually reveal.

However, when pink eyes darted to admire Lessa's appearance she saw a blank page. No writing, no scribbling - not even a dot of ink or color in sight. Only her expressions were being used but there was no telling what lie beneath that jaded smile. Or perhaps the curl of the blonde's lips was genuine? Audacity's mind picked up its pace while her heart rate slowed. Confusion happened to annoy her greatly; She was a devoted detective and Lessa was the cold case.

"Well, you must be good friends. If the relationship remains in the heart, and you don't need constant togetherness, than that's simply superb." She felt silly speaking about true friendship when she'd pushed her closest pals away. Relationships weren't in her agenda: never had been, never would be. But nobody had to know that, her life had restarted; a fresh new page in a damned world. 

Attentive eyes caught the movement of the two around her, and she opened her mouth to respond to Lessa but pursed her lips when a sharp cry from a distance jolted her body awake. Though she hadn't jumped her heart had begun beating frantically as pink eyes moved to catch the owner of the voice. Lessa seemed to be quit popular among players in Aincrad which made Audacity uncomfortable when figuring this out. "Audacity's the name." She spoke quickly but firmly in case she felt the urge to leave anytime soon. Who else would join the small group? Had Lessa invited more friends to comfort her? She shivered and hugged herself in order to generate much needed heat around the torso. "I believe there's a man searching for you." Stating the obvious, she turned to eye Lessa and watch her soon-to-be reaction to this person.

OOC: Took the leap and posted. Hopefully that's alright.

Edited by Audacity

Calrex gave a nod as the young girl accepted his introduction, beginning to speak to Lessa. The blonde certainly seemed a bit more distant, but then again he had only seen her a few times in the past, not enough that he could gather what her normal self would be. Nonetheless, he added to the conversation, "Yeah, we've only met a few times, but Lessa's reputation precedes here. Before I even got to adventuring within SAO I heard many stories about the Guardians of Aincrad and their fearless leader. One of my good friends still carries a torch for the guild."

Looking over he heard a familiar voice call out as he turned around to see yet another former guild leader making his way over, "Azide!"

He gave a friendly wave as the young brunette made his way over to the group. At the same time his eyes flashed a lighter shade of blue as he activated his <<Reveal>> skill. There was another player nearby that seemed to be hesitant about approaching the small gathering of players that was forming. However, to his knowledge he didn't know the young boy from his past venturings, deciding to leave it up to him if he wanted to approach or not. They were in a safe zone, meaning that there was no need of being ambushed.

"Unlike how Teayre's doing right now. She can't even enter the safe zones now."

Shaking his head to dismiss the depressing through he looked back over at the three individuals next to him, "So how are you enjoying the weather so far? To my knowledge there's more than a fair share of players that enjoy this floor so much they set up shop or would like to purchase a home here, even though it isn't possible on any floor below the eleventh."

While I was sitting in silence on my bench away from the others, another had joined the group. He was also familiar with the people there. I looked up to assess the group once more, to find that one of the members was looking at me. I looked away from the group. I ran it through my mind. He obviously knew that I was here. 

"Ah hell" I mumbled under my breath and got up from my position on the bench. I began to walk over to the other bench. Once I got there, I began my introductions.

"Hello. My name is Abalasster. I seem to be the outcast here. But, would it be ok for me to join in on the conversation?"

I immediately began to kick my self. I was never good with introductions. And after a certain event in my past, I wasn't really in touch with people anymore. All I could do now was wait for the verdict...   

• 2 months later...

It was all too much for her.

The blonde stood, accompanied by the clink of metal and groan of tired, worn muscles. She had come to the fourth floor seeking solace, and while one stranger had been tolerable, their small party was growing too rapidly. Suddenly uncomfortable, she did her best to distance herself a few paces without appearing rude or insensitive. It isn't you, it's me, came a whisper from the depths of her mind. Not that she would ever put voice to such thoughts, of course. The past year had seen its fair share of violent emotions, but the lone soul had learned to simply shelf it. One day, perhaps, it would consume her. But for the time being, she did her best to simply draw motivation from the pain that plagued her. Clear floors - that's all she could do.

But still, remnants of the old Lessa remained. Despite the unease that befell her, she found herself remembering her manners. To the best of her ability, she addressed the questions and comments as they flooded her. First, there was the boy with the familiar voice; he remembered her name, though his was lost to her. "Hello," she called back, forcing a smile to curl her cracked lips. Then, to the pink haired girl. The shade still put Lessa on edge, though by no fault of Audacity's. "It is nice to meet you." Her words were polite enough, but they rang hollow as the blonde turned to Calrex. Oh, Azide, she thought to herself as one player greeted the other. That's his name. "The fourth floor used to be my favorite," she responded simply.

Finally, she turned to Abalasster. There was an eagerness in the young man's eyes that twisted the dagger already lodged deep in her heart. We're all outcasts here, she longed to retort, but what good would that do?

• 2 weeks later...

Stepping off of the platform that housed the blue ring used to warp from Floor to Floor, the thick layer of white snow crunched under Jomei's boots. He had no reason to be up on the Fourth Floor, though during these times, he wandered in hopes of running into someone.. anyone.. who had disappeared without a trace. His mind had since drifted far from Carmine, though at the moment he wondered about Piera. The man's best friend, aside from Lowenthal, stopped showing up to guild functions and answering messages. She, just like their other female companion, was gone. 

Jomei placed his hand on top of a short wall as he walked, his curled fingers acting as a bulldozer, scooping up a handful of snow as he walked. Once his hand was full of snow, he brought it over to the front of him and began to pack it into a ball. He had no reason to make a snowball.. he just enjoyed it. nNo intentions to throw it at anyone either.. that is, until he spotted a familiar blonde friend of his. It had been awhile since he had seen Lessa, the last time being on Floor 9 during the Bandit Camp quest. He looked at the ball of snow in his hand and smirked, tossing it in the air once or twice. "Eh.. she probably won't hate me if I..." And with that, he cocked his arm back and catapulted the white ball into the air. After a second, the ball connected with Lessa's back, most of the snow falling back to the ground. Jomei laughed as he walked towards the group, "Sorry sorry.. I just felt I had to." He smiled at Lessa, "Its good to see you again." 

It was December now, or so the in game calendar told him. Normally this was his favorite time of year. Thanksgiving back in America, his birthday, and then Christmas and New Years. His four favorite days all in a row. And everyone wanted a white Christmas, right? The 4th floor was popular this time of year for just that reason. He, however, was  happy that he could get lost in the crowd. He had been MIA for a long time now... ever since...

Baldur shook his head as if he could rid the thoughts that way. He pressed on through the snow with a hooded and furred cloak wrapped around him, keeping anyone from recognizing him. Six months ago he had removed all names from his friend list but one and disappeared. Whenever she had been on the same floor as him, he had left... but now he sought her out instead. The friend list didn't tell him much more other than the fact that she was on this floor, but that was enough. He knew her well enough to find her.

When he did, however, she was surrounded by a group of people, so he turned around and went back into the city... into the crowds, but where he could still watch the path out to where she had gone for solitude. He wanted to talk to her but... not like this... not while she was happy and surrounded by friends. He hadn't spoken to anyone in a long time now.

He looked down at the message crystal in his hand. He had recorded it earlier in case he couldn't' face her, or in case she hadn't wanted to talk to him. In case she couldn't forgive him. His eyes looked off through the crowded, yet lonely city. Were everyone not bundled up for the floor, he might have stood out. But now, he was just another in a sea of people, and he liked it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

The sound that came from her as the snowball made contact was entirely inhuman. It was a gruesome combination of groan, squeal, and shout, which all spilled out in a sort of growl. Instinctively, her hand moved to Hell Rose's hilt. Something had struck her, and that meant there was a threat nearby. Her blue eyes were wide and rolling, but her good sense kicked in just before she drew her sword. You're in the safe zone, her mind screamed. You can't be hurt. Relax.

But that was easier said than done. Her hand was shaking as she released her weapon, and when she spoke, her voice was also unsteady. "Jomei, hey." Her smile was forced as she attempted to slow her racing heart, despite the fact that it truly was nice to see the redhead again. Her mouth opened as she prepared to speak once more, but something stopped her. It was the strange sensation of being watched that kept Lessa on-edge, and hindered her recovery from the snowball incident. As casually as possible, her gaze swept their surroundings.

Edited by Lessa

Jomei's cheery smile turned into a slight frown. Maybe what he did was a little bit uncalled for.. he was just happy to see the girl, and thought it would be a bit fun to do so. He pat the girl on the back to help brush off some of the white snow, the remainder of the snow falling back to the ground. "I'm sorry.. that was a bit stupid of me." he said in a sincere tone. He looked around as he did so, realizing he was not the only one, and probably looked like a complete asshole to everyone. The man looked at Lessa's back once again and saw all the snow was gone, so he smiled at her, "Alright. All gone... I'm sorry again if I startled you." 

• 6 months later...

Being watched was a sensation that Lessa had grown accustomed to. Some of those who watched her were strangers, attracted by her high-level gear and flashy, rose-tinted sword. She spent much of her time among the lower levels, so it made sense that the less experienced players might gape as she passed by. There were others, however, who knew her as they watched. Some were her friends, keeping an eye on her as she moved about her day, or perhaps hesitating to approach. Lessa had hardened, left as a mere husk of the woman she had once been. Conversing with her was hardly the joyous occasion it had been prior.

Baldur fell in the second category, she realized as she turned to face him. He watched her from a ways off, and she could hardly blame him for not approaching. The woman was surrounded by those she hardly know, and those she did not know at all. The crowd was most likely reason enough to keep a good distance, but the severe mood swings that came to Lessa with feeling cramped were also an excellent deterrent. Softly, politely, she excused herself, and made her way toward Baldur.

Looking over as he saw Lessa dismiss herself to head towards another person that had arrived Calrex gave a nod as is eyes wandered over to the newcomer, looking to see that it was someone he had not seen in quite some time. Baldur, the owner of the Catfish Sundries and the merchant he gave the most business to when he was still making his way up through the levels to where he was at now, "Looks like things are starting to get a bit crowded here with everyone arriving, heh. I guess the fourth floor is a place that many players enjoy, due to the wintery theme of the place."

Putting his hands into his jacket pockets he looked over at a nearby bench, "In any case, I think I'm gonna grab a seat for now. If you all want we can convene in any of the nearby cafes or something. The snow is nice and all, but I'm sure a nice warm glass of tea or coca might be night, right?"

"Course I might head out soon. It looks like the conversations here can continue on without my presence, so I should probably get back to training."

Baldur wasn't sure whether it was providence or fate that when Lessa looked up, she was able to pick him out of crowd. Regardless, their eyes met, but Baldur was the first to look away. He wasn't ready to face her yet, he couldn't trust his voice to work. Not after disappearing for so long, not when he still didn't know what had happened... not when he didn't yet understand how completely he had failed everyone. No, there was no way she could understand when even he did not. He wasn't ready to face the accusing eyes, or the prying questions. Not when he was so... broken

Turning from her, Baldur began to head to the teleport plaza, but he always hesitated at the corner so that she could see where he had gone until he stood at the teleporter, waiting for her to turn the corner. When she did, his sorrowful blue eyes sought hers out once more. He gave her a slow, sad wave and then set the recording crystal down on one of the pillars by the teleportation monument.

Then, before she had a chance to get close enough to hear what he said, he called out the city of his destination, and disappeared in a flash of light, brushing off a single, frozen tear which reflected the lights of Christmas all around them.

I'm sorry, Lessa. Baldur though, as the white floor was washed away in white light.

The faintest smile whispered across her lips as a hand lifted in greeting. It had been a long time since she had seen Baldur, and he had always managed to help center her when she was unsteady. Now, more than ever, she could use a little help finding her balance. But when his hand rose, returning her wave, she recognized it as a gesture of goodbye. Her stomach and her hand dropped, the smile fading as the boy turned his back to her. He appeared to leave something behind, and hesitation mingled with the confusion and disappointment that swam behind her blue eyes. Was it meant for her?

She watched him go, and allowed a full two minutes to pass before she followed. People milled about her, arm-in-arm, and deep in discussion about whatever was the evening's hot topic. They paid the girl who appeared in a trance no mind. When she finally stooped to retrieve the recording crystal, a sob choked her, threatening to escape her tightly drawn lips. She closed her eyes, forcing back the feeling with a more positive thought. She searched, but none came.

Not like Christmas at all, she found herself realizing, as the snow turned to sleet.