[PP | F8] Petals of Honor <<Feeding Your Enemy>>

The town of Florenthia was beautiful this time of day. It wasn't quite the hottest time of the day so the air was a comfortably warm, players and NPCs went about their business from the buildings and shops as a short blonde woman stood in the middle of the commotion. She was waiting to see if an old woman passed by like she was told, according to the information she gathered it was about this time of day that she bought food from a stall before moving on to a different area.

Just as she had been told Katoka saw the woman wrapped in a shawl and wearing an elegant dress that stood out in the crowd. "There you are." she said aloud before pushing through the people to meet her. As she approached it seemed like the woman honed in on her intent and turned to face the samurai. "Hello young lady. Would you like to join me for lunch? I have a tale to tell if you're interested."

Katoka sat with the woman as she told her about her younger days taming beasts of the forest. She explained that with the right food and enough determination, that she could also find a familiar of her own to help her. The little blonde nodded and told the woman, "I would love to find my partner, someone that can be there for me." the old woman smiled and a window popped up in from of the samurai. She accepted the quest prompt and the old woman offered her a small pouch, "This my dear is the <<Familiar Food>> you will need. I wish you luck, many have tried and failed to find their other half."

Katoka felt a slight twinge in her heart but shook it off. Thanking the woman she left the bench they had sat down at and made her way to an area near the entrance to town. She opened her game menu end proceeded to send a message to her guild mate that had a harrowing familiar hunt of his own.

Hey Freyd,

Wanted to know if you'd like to join me on my familair quest.
Maybe when I find and tame it in one go I can rub it in a bit.
I'm in Florenthia on FLoor 8, See you soon!

Katoka

"That should get a chuckle from under his goofy hood. Now we wait." she said aloud to herself.

Katoka | HP:440/440 | EN:44/44 | DMG:10 | EVA:1 | ACC:2 | LD:1 | BLD:12 | REC:2

Spoiler

Name: Katoka
Level: 22
HP: 440/440
EN: 44/44

Stats:
Damage: 10
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 2
LD:1
BLD:12
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Mumyou Sandanzuki (T1/Perfect/Katana) | BLD 1, DMG 2
Armor: Shinsengumi Yukata (T1/Perfect/Light Armor) | REC 2, EVA 1
Misc: Rabbit's Foot (T1/Perfect/Trinket) | ACC 2, LD 1

Skills:
Curved Sword [Rank 1]
Katana [Rank 5]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
Katana Finesse

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions*3
Hazelnut Cookie Rounds (LD+2) T1*1
Pheromone*1
Spyglass (3/3)*1
Familiar Song*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Basic Training: +1 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by Katoka

Freyd did, indeed, have a good chuckle upon receiving the request.  Did he dare take on another familiar-hunting quest?  The answer was a grudging 'yes', but only for a very select group of people.  Katoka was on that list.   Calling to Persi as he slowly gathered his things, he was looking forward to spending more time with the fiesty blue samurai.  She reminded him of a cross between Haine and Setsuna, but shorter and slightly less homicidal.  

It really didn't take long to get ready.  He practically lived in the field these days, hunting remnants of the Sundered Spire or seeking out contacts and resources that could benefit Firm Anima.  He also inevitably expected to be called to the front lines and was trying to prepare as best he could.  It was a daunting proposition, given that he'd only completed his first lessons a few months ago.  How quickly things change.

Hey Katoka,

Be there shortly.

Maybe-Dyerf

Vanity Tag: @Haine @Setsuna

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1190/1190 | EN:116/116 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | BH:47

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 58
HP: 1190/1190
EN: 116/116

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:47
KEEN:1
HLY:6
FLN:6

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb [T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1]
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 3]
Battle Healing [Rank 4]
Parry [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Crystal of Support (30*tier) hp to party*1
Missing You*2
Concentrated Joy (T3 Vitality 2)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild: n/a

Wedding Ring: n/a

Katoka laughed at Freyd's message and reopened her notes on the familiar hunt. She had done research back at the guild hall and after looking at many different creatures she had finally settled on one that she thought fit her. She had found out that there was a type of dragon that hid in an area of the forest that held several sakura trees, it had a fairly long body and antlers that had sakura blossoms blooming from it.

After making double checking her notes she decided she should get out her supplies for the hunt. She ate her cookies, played the familiar song, sprayed the pheromones, and pulled out the spyglass. "Jeez, there's so much. Hopefully this will make things easier though, I've heard some horror stories." she shuddered remembering Freyd's tale of Persi. "Please Cardinal, don't screw me over. I'd like this to go as easy as possible." the blonde said looking up to the floor's ceiling.

-------

Katoka consumes Hazelnut Cookie Rounds
           Effect: +2 LD
Katoka activates Familiar Song
           Effect: +2 LD when attempting to find a familiar
Katoka activates Pheromones
           Effect: +1 CD when attempting to tame a familiar
Katoka uses Spy Glass
           Effect: -5 from post count requirements for Dungeons/Familiars

Freyd's brow furrowed as he exited the portal, trying to remember whether he had been to Friben Village and floor 8 before.  There was something disturbingly familiar about the place, but he couldn't quite place it until the pungent aroma of something's dung wafted over the area. 

*Facepalm*

The Monkey King.  Urgh... he'd tried so hard to push that traumatic quest out of his mind.  So much for that plan.  The young blue samurai was waiting for him nearby, collecting her things and getting organized for her hunt.

"Oh, thank goodness you're prepared!  Elora was a bit too... Elora, when she asked for help in hunting her familiar."  Freyd smiled oddly and wistfully, as if suddenly recalling a pleasant memory.  It was an odd reaction to have follow a complaint, but he was an odd fellow.  "I think we need to find you a nickname.  How does 'Kitkat' sound?  Might imply the wrong thing.  Oh well, something will come up.  You all set to go?"

Katoka puffed her cheeks up and pouted, "Don't call me Kitkat unless you want me to call you emo hood boy. Kat is fine." she crossed her arms and tuned from him. After a moment of giving him the cold shoulder she lightly punched him in the shoulder and grinned, "Yeah I'm ready. Let's head out on this hunt!"

It surprised Katoka how much she had changed. In the few weeks that she had begun questing and getting stronger she had started to get comfortable, not only with herself, but with her friends and guild mates. She had grown close to them all so quickly that she couldn't see herself as the same person as before. It was an almost scary thought, but comforting at the same time. She was attaining her goal of living a somewhat normal life in this virtual prison.

"So tell me Freyd, do you have a special someone back home or has SAO been fruitful in dating prospects?" she asked, nudging him with her elbow.

Her question actually caught him off guard.  Relationships!?  They were just about the farthest thing from his mind.  Although, recent events seemed to be conspiring to bring them to the forefront.

"Erm... no.  Well, at least, I don't think so."  He scrunched his face in a manner that might normally be associated with a bad taste, or a bit of salad stuck in one's gums.  "I'm really rather bad at reading the whole 'affection' thing."  Wow.  What an understatement, and half-truth, not to mention a misdirection.  He almost felt proud at how easily and casually he'd responded, yet something panged for having been less than forthright with someone who could - no, should - be a friend.  Freyd was perfectly capable of reading such intent, but he only understood how to use it as part of his endless machinations.  Genuine affection would be as alien to him as sun tan lotion to a Yeti.  Relationships were also a vulnerability, and an easily exploited one at that.  As much as he trusted his fellow guild-mate, discretion was always the better choice.  Katoka was not to be burdened with such things.

"What about you, Kat?"  A disarming smile and gentle tone helped deflect the direction of their conversation.  "Who is it you'd like to have more directly involved in your life?"  A subtle but distinctive difference in wording, meant to gather information.  How innocent was she actually?  Her response would tell.

Katoka patted Freyd on the back, "Relationships are an enigma wrapped in a puzzle." she mused, putting on a old man voice and stroking an imaginary beard. She giggled and sighed a bit, "I honestly don't know at this point." she held out her forefinger on one hand as if to begin counting, "I enjoyed hanging out with Ruler a lot, but I think at the time I was pulled in by her strength. She made me feel safe you know? I also haven't seen her in ages." she put up her second finger, "Vie is damn adorable and made my heart do backflips, but we've grown closer as friends now." putting up a third finger her cheeks began to turn a bit pink, "Elora is... spontaneous. She makes me laugh and brings out a goofy side of myself that I didn't know I had. She's strong and we've fought well together so far. But I'm not sure how she feels about..." she gestures to her entire body, "You know, women?"

She groaned and scratched the back of her head, "Emotions are... just so damn complicated you know? I'm sorry if this is an uncomfortable talk for you. I know not everyone has dating on the mind when we're all fighting for our lives here." she turned to him looking a bit pained, as if she felt guilty about how she felt, "But despite all the doom and gloom, don't you think we should try and live as normally as we can?"

Freyd let the blue samurai speak her peace, his face remaining unreadable, save for the small, controlled smile he'd managed to slap on his face as she'd patted him on the back.  Everyone was getting so damned touchy-feely these days.  But, if he was honest, it wasn't a bad thing.  He just needed more practice learning how to deal with it.  Katoka seemed like a nice person.  She was heartfelt and sincere, and just seemed to want to be appreciated.  Freyd knew that he wasn't likely the best person to help her with these things, but he could and would willingly curb stomp anyone who didn't treat Kat right.  That much, he could process.  

"Oh... yeah... totally.  I hear you."  His mind kept thinking 'insert platitude here', but he seemed to get the tone right.  Freyd actually sincerely agreed with Katoka that emotions were overly complicated. The difference lay in their approach.  Whereas she seemed to want to navigate them, Freyd just steered clear altogether, but that was slowly changing due to the efforts of his friends. 

"Urgh... look, Katoka.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not really any good at the whole 'feelings' thing.  It's not that I don't want to help you out.  I really just don't know where to start."  He looked sheepish, because he felt sheepish, and it was taking a concerted effort and will to actually allow that sheepishness to show.  Goddamn feelings.

"Let's see if I can help connect some of the dots, at least.  That, I am good at."  He started counting on his fingers to keep track of her list.  "So, uh... Ruler I saw recently.  She asked me to help her out on the dragon hunts.  I just gave her Forgiven Disobedience, my old T1 sword.  Nice girl.  Too stuck up for her own good.  You should help her work on that. Vie's all but vanished.  She's a wily one.  Be careful, would be my advice.  Elora... where to begin?  Elora's down on herself for a lot of different reasons, none of which are insurmountable.  She needs to believe in herself.  I've done what I can, but I suspect she needs someone like you to fill in the rest.  As far as the girl-girl thing..."  he just shrugged, not really getting the concept of romance at all.

He dodged her last question completely.  It delved a little deeper than he was willing to go while on a casual familiar-finding stroll.

Katoka gave a sad smile, "I'm glad that Ruler is doing well, and I'm sure Vie will pop up at some point. For now I'll just keep doing what I'm doing you know? I'm happy with being friends with Elora even if that's as far as we get. She's a fun person to be around and I'd like to hang out with her more."

The blonde knew that this had become a deeper conversation than she meant. She had always had a feeling that Freyd wasn't as in touch with his emotions as she was, but now that he had confirmed it she made a mental note to try and not push too far into the felling spectrum. He was a good listener at least and he was making an attempt to console her, though he wasn't as good at it as he thought.

"So," she asked trying to steer the conversation away from her lackluster lover life, "what's life like on the frontlines? Any more exciting than helping us newbies catch up?"

"Hey," He said softly, placing a black-gloved hand on her blue shoulder.  "Don't you go getting down.  This place is full of people trying to find comfort.  I guarantee that there are more than a few looking for someone just like you.  Don't give up."  He gave her a gentle squeeze and kept walking, wondering where the hell those words had come from.  He must have seen them in a Hallmark movie or some sappy drama or something.  Whatever.  They seemed to give Katoka some well-deserved comfort.  "Have you considered Kasumi?  She seems like she might be your type.  Supposedly really good with massages."  He shrugged, dropping the topic and listening to her next question.

"The Front Lines?"   He mused aloud.  "I really don't know what to tell you.  I've heard nothing from them.  No secret decoder rings.  No book of clandestine handshakes.  Not even a peep.  I'm starting to get the impression that they aren't really all that well organized, and just sort of gather whenever there's some really big job that needs doing.  Word in the rumour mill is that they may be making a move on the floor boss up on floor 25 soon.  I should probably find out and go sign up."  Freyd's mood sombered at this point.  "I've seen what the front lines can do to people, Katoka.  It takes a toll.  Get there when you're ready, and don't rush it.  It's not a fun as hunting for familiars."  He messed up her hair, like a big brother might do, then stuffed his hands in his pockets and picked up his pace, a great big grin still adorning his lips.

Vanity Tag: @Kasumi

After Freyd rubbed her head Katoka pouted at him, "I'm going to take my time, I was just curious." she nudged him with her elbow. It was nice to have someone as her senior, mentoring and helping out. Despite what she had heard from Chase, Freyd made her feel safe. While he wasn't as open with is feelings, he was still kind, at least to her and Elora.

As the two continued to poke and nudge one another like siblings teasing, they emerged in a clearing surrounded by cherry blossom trees. Katoka stopped and placed her hand on the hooded man's chest to stop him, albeit a bit harder than necessary. She smirked as he stopped abruptly, "This is it, the place where the little ones spawn and hang out."

She pulled the spyglass out and extended it before beginning her search. Looking through the lens she saw various birds and bugs as they went about their business. A white flash caught her attention as it zoomed past to catch a beetle that was flying by. "Aha!" she exclaimed in a hushed tone, "There's my dragon friend."

Spoiler

Katoka ID#: 169692 | LD: 16 + 5 = 21 Success! Familiar Located

Edited by Katoka

Freyd stood perfectly still.  After his own lengthy search, and the troubles poor Elora had finding hers, he didn't dare do anything that might blow it for Katoka.  His purpose now was to be nothing but a statue - a still, calm and serene statue, that would viciously stab anything in the face if it tried to hurt the blue samurai.  Yeah.  That worked.

'What is it with people and dragons?' He wondered to himself.  Elora had thought she wanted one, and Vigilon actually had one.  They were probably the most common beast form for familiars.  That said, he actually felt it fit with Katoka.  The squirt actually had some serious fire inside and it would be only too appropriate if her familiar matched that particular trait.  She's probably give it some cutesy name, like Kiluia or Haine would.  Whatever.  It's about personal choice.  Persi rumbled around his chest, as if in agreement.

Katoka grabbed the bag of familiar food and quickly followed the dragon into the field as it eat the large beetle it had caught. Opening the draw strings she pulled out what looked like an iridescent rhinoceros beetle. It looked like something exotic and thankfully it wasn't moving, "Oh gross, this is what you like?"

She crept closer to the creature to get a better look as it rest in the tree above. It had a long body with white down covering the upper half. It had antlers as well sprouting from hit's head with similar cherry blossoms attached to them. She was mesmerized by it's beauty and continued walking forward, stepping on a stick as her head was directed upwards. With a crack the stick snapped under her weight and alerted the dragon to her presence, with a wriggle of it's body it snaked through the air to another tree nearby.

Spoiler

Katoka ID#: 169771 | CD: 6 + 1 = 7 Failure

Edited by Katoka

"That... is a really weird-looking dragon.  Are you sure it isn't some kind of winged reindeer, or something?  A miniature winged moose would be really cool!"  The dragon-thing squawked at him, so Freyd shut himself up again with an apologetic look over to Katoka.  He gave her a thumbs up and nudged towards the dragon, wishing her the best of luck. 

In the meantime, he looked around for a convenient place to sit where he could watch the moment play out.  Persi oozed out from beneath his jacket and found herself the brightest, warmest, sunniest spot in the glade.  How?  Why did his shadowy companion always seek such a places?  He shouldn't be surprised, he scolded himself through internal monologue.  She did come from floor five, which was basically a single massive warming rock.  Realizing that he was distracting himself,  Freyd sat down next to her and watched Katoka try her luck again, this time with greater success - he hoped.

Determination filled Katoka as she crept over to the dragon's new perch. She kept her eyes on the creature and where she was walking, stepping over branches and rocks in her path. As she took her final step at the base of the tree she held up the beetle for her target to either smell or catch sight of. As she did so the creature's attention snapped to the insect between her fingers. It cocked it's head from side to side like a dog, sniffing at the air before floating down to investigate further.

"Yes, come on little one. Look at this tasty buggy." she said cooing at the dragon as it got closer. It stopped about a foot from her, cautiously sniffing at the air for a moment. It once again floated effortlessly through the air and stopped right at her hand, taking a few more wiffs of the bug she held before it snapped it up in it's mouth.

"Oh!" the samurai exclaimed, startled by the quick motion. While it crunched on the beetle she pulled another from the small bag and held it up, "That's right, eat up."

The dragon finished the first and quickly grabbed the second, a small notification pinged in Katoka's ear and the dragon zoomed over close to her, wrapping itself around her neck to snack more on the insect. A window opened in front of her congratulating her on taming her familiar and prompting her to enter a name. The blonde took a moment to think and typed into the window, 'Hanami', and hit enter. There was another notification sound as the system processed and accepted the name. A small health bar appeared just under hers titled Hanami and Katoka let out a delighted squeal.

Turning to Freyd she called out, "I did it!" and held up her fingers in a sign of victory, giggling like a child. She ran over to the cowled man and hugged him, "Thank you so much for coming along with me. It means a lot. Also say hello to Hanami!" she scratched under the dragon's chin and she purred, closing her eyes in delight.

Spoiler

Katoka ID#: 169827 | CD: 10 + 1 = 11 Success!

Edited by Katoka

Freyd's eyes bulged awkwardly as the small samurai squeezed the digital stuffing out of him.  So much hugging.  He patted her gently on the head, smiling and nodding as she reveled in her success.  Good for her.  Staring at the bizarre little Poke-dragon-thingy, he cocked his head and indulged Katoka's wishes.  "Hey." 

Thankfully, the beast was too busy chomping away at the bag of beetles Katoka was feeding it, and no further forced conversation was required.  "Why don't we hang around here for a bit and find out a bit more about it's habitat?  That sort of info can be useful when you're trying to train it... I mean... Hanami."

A shadowy head poked its way up from behind Freyd's left shoulder sniffing at the air.  Persi had apparently decided to joint the fun and see what all the hubbub was about.  When she saw Katoka, her shadowy figure shivered and suddenly became filled with a field of resplendent stars, as if she had suddenly become part of the night sky over the City of Coral.  It was an odd effect, given that it was currently only midday.

The samurai smiled at Persi as she emerged from behind Freyd's shoulder, when she was suddenly filled with shining star-like lights Katoka gasped. "Beautiful! Does she do that often?" she asked reaching out to scratch her under her chin as well. While continuing to feed Hanami out of the bag the blonde took Freyd's advice and began to look around at the area they were currently in.

It was really a beautiful clearing, with a small pond at one end and a small outcropping of rocks not far from there that seemed to attract many of the insects in the area. Katoka approached the pond and saw a few small fish, as well as frogs and other pond based life. "This is a beautiful home you have Hanami." she said to her new companion, rubbing the spot between her horns. The dragon chirped in response and floated down towards the pond and began to take a drink from it's surface.

Persi jumped down from Freyd's shoulder and wandered over beside the pond, suddenly sticking her entire head under the water.

"Don't worry.  It's just how she drinks."  He shrugged by way of explanation, still unsure what Persi really was.  She looked most often like a mongoose, but her form changed to often that it could be hard to tell.  "As to the starry thing, that's from and item we received at the Tanabata event.  I used it to help... a friend in need."  He clearly didn't want to say any more than that, possibly because the thread wasn't finished yet, and it would just be weird if things turned out differently.  "Are those cherry trees?"  He pointed to a small grove on the far side of the pond.  "I wonder if it has a special fondness for them, or something?"  It really was a beautiful spot.  Freyd wondered if he should bring... nah.  Whatever budding idea briefly bubbled in the back of his mind was instantly dropped.

Katoka giggled as Persi dunked her whole head under the water, she squatted down so she could be closer to the two familiars as they drank. She looked off at the opposite shore that Freyd pointed out, it was a beautiful spot really. "I think she enjoys the sakura trees, maybe her species uses them as homes?"

She stood back up, watching Hanami sniff at Persi curiously. "This area is really pretty, it'd be a good date spot don't you think." she smirked and slapped his shoulder playfully. She knew he didn't really have dating on the mind after their previous talk, but she thought it'd be fun to tease him a bit. Maybe one day she could get a reaction out of him, a little pink in the cheeks or even a stutter would suffice.

"If I made him blush I'd probably die of cute overload, the dumb cowl head. Hell who knows if his brain is even hardwired to feel embarrassed at this point." she thought to herself watching their two familiars interreact more.

Freyd admired the genuine sincerity and 'joi de vivre' in Katoka's youthful character.  She was a good person and a good friend.  She also put her heart into everything he did.  It was an approach he was only just starting to understand and appreciate.  The corners of his lips curled up as she asked him about dating.  Katoka definitely had relationships front and foremost on her mind.  Fair enough.  Each player craved something in order to get them through the insanity of their current predicament.  At least hers was relatively benign.

His reddish-brown eyes looked down into hers for a moment, narrowing just enough to tell her that he realized what she was trying to do.  Then he said nothing and returned to staring that the pond.  It was the surest way of driving her crazy while giving nothing of his private thoughts away.  A quick pat on the shoulder was all she got, and even that was really meant to celebrate her successful find.  The rest was his business, alone.

"Come on.  We need to get that bag of beetles back to the old lady in order to wrap this up."

Thread Summary:

Katoka receives:

3 SP (1 page, +1 event, +1 quest)

400 col

Familiar eval to be submitted for approval

Freyd receives:

2 SP (1 page, +1 event)