[SP-01] Reflections on Water <<EAL: Fisher>>

Something penetrated the darkness.  Freyd hadn't even realized that he had fallen asleep.  In fact, he wasn't even sure that he was asleep.  A memory of drowning in inky, viscous darkness surfaced.  Shadow had fallen, then the room had swallowed them whole.  He'd felt cold, then numb.  His extremities didn't register. 

"Is this death?!"  The circumstances were confusing.  Shadow seemed to have lost and triumphant cheers rang out, but turned just as quickly to horror as the walls collapsed around them and the black goo summoned by the boss came flooding in.

Open your eyes, Freyd.

"Montjoy?  What the..."

"Montjoy?  No, mate.  I told ya, my names Anthony.  You sure that you're okay?  You're looking a little woolly about the head, or were you out at some sort of fancy party all night with a girl wrapped around each arm?  No, wait, that was me!  HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!"

Freyd's head throbbed with each colliding guffaw, like some lingering shadow horror had gotten trapped inside and pounded against the interior of his skull to silence a noisy neighbour.  Ouch.  Struggling against eyelids that felt like weights had been attached, Freyd finally managed to open them a sliver.  He was sitting at the edge of a dock somewhere, with this cocky git chatting his ear off and trying to shove a tin of something that smelled foul into his face.  Something pulled at his hands.  A... fishing rod?!

Freyd | HP: 900/900 | EN: 124/124 | DMG: 30 | MIT: 51 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BH: 45 | LD: 5 | FLN: 8 | HLY: 8 | V.O.: 90

Freyd consumes:

Berry Crumb Bars (Snack) | LOOT DIE 3 [175204]  (Deleted upon clarification that fishing rolls are to be natural LD rolls)

Stats:

Spoiler

Freyd
Level: 31
Paragon: 60

HP: 900/900
EN: 124/124

Stats:
Damage: 23
Mitigation: 36
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 4
BH:45
VAMP OFF:90
HLY:8
FLN:8
LD:5 (+3+1)
Stealth Rating: -2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T4-WARH, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
Light Armor (R5) | MIT 30, -2 Stealth Rating

Warhammer (R5) | R5 SAs, +7 DMG
Searching (R4 + Attic) | +5 LD, +5 stealth detection
Battle Healing (R5) | +5% max HP healing at start of turn
Charge | 2*T EN, +5 DMG, -1 ACC, cancel autohit
Energist | +5*T max EN
Extended Weight Limit | +2 BR slots

Mods:
Extended Weight Limit Mod | increase each BR slot capacity to 15
Ferocity (Warhammer) | +2 DMG with SAs
Stamina (Warhammer) | -2 EN costs all attacks
Meticulous | +1 DMG
Resolve |+1 ACC, +10*T HP

Combat Mastery: Damage | +12 DMG

Familiar Skill: Grappling | CD:5T, Free action, Stun target (separate cooldown)

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Meditation
Forgotten King’s Authority

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
T3 HP Recovery*15
Antidote 3*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +10% EXP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Yamata no Orochi Totem: +1 LD.

Wedding Ring:

n/a

Edited by Freyd

Something nibbled, pulling at the rod, but lost interest just as quickly. 

"What the hell?!"  Freyd hadn't fished since he was a boy visiting his grandfather on Vancouver Island.  The scenery around them clashed with his memories and blurred the line between them.  It was getting harder to remember the 'real' world.  Those were some of his best and happiest memories, which were a rarity in his youth.  

"How?"  A furrowing brow struggled to comprehend.  "How did I get here?"  Anthony glanced at him strangely, as if not understanding the question.

"The usual way, I suppose?  Ya walked, didn't you?  HAR HAR HAR."

The man's laughter was getting annoying fast.

"No, I mean... I was on floor twenty five and now... "  Try as he might, Freyd couldn't connect the dots.  There were too many gaps, and big ones at that.  "And since when is fishing like this even a quest thing?!"  His eyes narrowed, suspiciously.  "You're not the new Pete, are you?!"

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187557 | LD: 15 | CD: 2 (Failed)

Sum of collected materials:
0 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Gazing down at the water, he saw nothing at first, beyond the reflections of a dull, grey sky.  The diffuse light of day cast a pall over the water that prevented vision to what lay beyond, just like his memories.  His line quivered in the water as he watched.  Only moments later, staring at it in confusion, did he realize the source: his hands were shaking.  Why?  Something black and oily fell into the water beneath his feet, then again.  Drops fell from his eyes, somehow still tainted by the battle with Shadow and Orgoth as his minion puppet.  Samael's Pride, his prized blade, had drank from them both during the battle, and his own inner darkness flared to dangerous proportions.

As the darkness dripped into the water, light's reflections faded and took the form of his own shadow.  He knew that the angles and lighting were wrong.  This was something artificial and manipulated.

Montjoy?

Yes, Freyd.  

The figure in the water waved, independently, back at its would-be caster.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187578 | LD: 4 | CD: 7 (Failed)

0 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

"What happened?"  Anthony had wandered off, so Freyd switched to speaking aloud.  Too much had been happening inside his head, of late.  He needed to talk things out, even if it was only with himself.  "I remember Orgoth, then the endless waves of Shadowlings, then spoopy-boss-dude doing his thing.  And I remember... darkness, inside."

You touched the Shadow's power twice Freyd.  First through his possession of the minotaur champion, then again directly.  Such things have consequences.

"I nearly lost myself in there."  He recalled Raidou's visceral reaction to the villain's taunts, and how his fellow captain and friend had nearly lost control.  Many were pushed closer to their limits than they will ever be ready to admit.  Clenching his hands over his knees, he tried to stop their shaking and reassert his will over his body.  It took a minute, but they eventually stilled.  A tug on his line drew them back to his rod, lest some ambitious fish take it as a souvenir.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187579 | LD: 4 | CD: 11 (1 mat found)

1 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

You're afraid that the truth is a bit more than 'almost'?  Yes?

Silence was Freyd's only response, his eyes drilling through the darkness staring back at him.    Montjoy always knew how to cut to the heart of any matter.  Subconsciousness, conscience or courteous inner demon, whatever the Gemini-inspired thing was talking back to him, it knew him thoroughly.

"Yes.  I suppose I am."  

You should be talking with someone else about this.

"Instead of myself, or my shadow, or whatever the hell you are?  Yeah.  I kinda got that already."  The words were terse, moreso than intended.  He felt raw and anger was literally spilling out of him.

I mean Elora.  You need to find her.

"Oh?  OH!"  How had he not even thought of that?!  How was it not his immediate reaction?  What the hell was wrong with him?  Freyd still sat, staring at the water, his mind utterly blank and lost.  Where was his resolve?  Where was the drive that had gotten him this far?  It wasn't like him to be idle, let alone when action was required.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187580 | LD: 12 | CD: 1 (Failed)

1 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

"I...should do that."  Freyd's eyes shut again as pangs rippled through his torso and out to every extremity.  Something felt wrong.  Everything felt wrong.  He couldn't think.  Leather creaked as he leaned down, placing his forehead in his left palm.  He was accustomed to a steady stream of input and data pounding rhythmically against the inside of his virtual skull.  Analysis led to understanding, and survival in turn. It was the core of his identity to find, determine and take action.  But, at the moment he felt no such motivation.

What's holding you back?

"I feel... empty?  Maybe it's just exhaustion. Maybe the raid took a greater toll than I'd imagined?  I've fought for so long just to get to this point.  Maybe I just never believed that I could ever actually reach it?"

A tug on the line triggered Freyd's instincts, causing him to yank hard on the line and instantly pull back.  His hook sailed over his right ear, lodging itself into a tree branch and yielding nothing but grief.  It felt like an appropriate catch.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187581 | LD: 14 | CD: 12 (1 mat found)

2 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Grumbling as he hoisted his feet back on the heavily worn hardwood planks of the dock, Freyd sauntered over and fish his hook free, muttering at his incessant string of seemingly bad luck.  Maybe Cardinal had cursed him, after all?  Maybe he should just sit her for the rest of whatever life remained to him and rot, along with the fish he wasn't catching.

Ah.  That's it.  You're actually experiencing doubt.  It's her, isn't it?  The green-haired one.  You don't believe that you can bring yourself to face her, do you?

"No." 

Truth was harsh, and razor sharp to help it cut deep.  

"I should have stayed with her and not gone to the raid.  I could have-"

Nonsense.  

Montjoy's retort was curt.

You made a difference in the raid, and she is a grown woman who is perfectly capable of standing on her own two feet - as you have told her she is.  This is puerile and unworthy.  Pull yourself together and go find her.  See how she fared and share your struggles.  Find comfort in each other's telling of the tragedies that followed.  

A pop-up appeared, confirming that Elora remained on the guild roster.  She still lived.  

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187582 | LD: 7 | CD: 10 (1 mat found) 

3 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Freyd's response was equally abrupt: he wretched into the pond.  It was black, inky mucus-like stuff that reminded him too much of the time his Gemini has respawned from his very innards.  Unlike that vile experience, this one carried with it more relief.  The darkness did not congeal into some other monstrosity fed by the soul scars of his past.  Instead, it spread across the water's surface like a cloud and slowly disappeared.  Weight lifted from Freyd's shoulders as he watched it happen.  Once the ichor cleared, he saw his image superimposed of Montjoy's on the gradually steadying surface. One red eye stared back while the other lay concealed by his cowl and was also subsumed by his shadow's form.

"I've never been any good at it, but fishing has always helped me clear my mind."  A hork and spit cleared the last of the bile from his mouth.  The tainted cloud that had perched itself over his spirit was fading just as quickly.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187583 | LD: 10 | CD: 3 (Failure)

3 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Sitting back down in his previous spot, the Whisper properly surveyed his surroundings, as if for the first time.  Taking stock of his available gear, the tackle box a few feet to his left, and the tin of special bait left by Tony, a plan of action was already forming in his mind.  Old Freyd was coming back to life, in a good way.  He had a mission before him; an objective to be completed.  Finish the quest, then go find Elora and the others, starting with his friends in Firm Anima.  

Better.  Now, get it done.

Applying the bait and setting himself to his task, Freyd let a shallow smirk perch itself on the edge of his lips as the reel clicked in his hands and the line cast out over his head and out into the water.  The gentle 'bloop' of the bobber landing a few dozen feet away signaled the start of his engagement.  

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187585 | LD: 20 | CD: 2 (Failure)

3 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Cradling the rod in his lap, Freyd's smirk turned into a proper smile as the clouds above parted to reveal a few stray beams of sunlight.  They danced across the water's surface, shining like spot of hope in a scene that had fallen prey to morose depression beneath Shadow's flood.  Striking in symbolism, and simply beautiful, the return of vivid colour warmed his heart even as a light drizzle began to fall around him.  Aincrad had endured a trial and endured, but also been left drained and left melancholy.  

'Give them hope,' had made him promise.  He'd never forgotten it, even if he hadn't the slightest clue how to deliver.  

It was why he chose you, Freyd.  He knew that you would always find a way.

"Thanks, my friend.  I think I needed the reminder."

A few gentle taps on spectral screens cast into the air by the game's user interface, he composed the very note which he had been avoiding.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187586 | LD: 3 | CD: 1 (Failure)

3 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

To: @Elora

Elora, please tell me you are safe and unharmed.  I only just woke up on some dock, somewhere on one of the lower floors, I think.  The frontlines succeeded, though not without difficulty.  The boss taunted us relentlessly about some grand scheme he had going out in the rest of Aincrad while we battled.  Judging by what I've seen to far, things have changed out here, leading me to suspect that there was some twisted truth to his words.  

Some of my mods no longer work.  Are you alright?  Where can I find you?

He showed me your face as you fell to some dark fate and thought you lost.  Reach out as soon as you can.  I will be there as quickly as I can.

I missed you.

Staring at the flashing cursor, Freyd's finger lingered over the send button, uncertain about his tone or phrasing.  How the hell do you tell someone you thought you saw them die, along with others, without creeping the hell out of them.  His finger mashed the button, ending the debate.

"First, let's make sure she's actually okay."

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187587 | LD: 14 | CD: 7 (Failure)

3 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

A series of additional messages followed, reaching out to Katoka, Raidou, Freya, Setsuna, Kasumi and others he deemed close to him first.  An accounting would be required, and much work would need to be done to updated their lore on the state of the game.  Newsfeeds and contacts came next.  The Information Broker network seemed to be in complete disarray, which wasn't all that surprising.  The scale and extent of the changes looked to be significant.  That tends to throw people for a loop, especially if they weren't expecting it. 

Montjoy was gone from the pond, staring instead at Freyd from the planks of the dock and having re-attached himself at the feet.   His form once again matched his master's, though Freyd felt the missing eyes within the silhouette watching him in silent approval as old habits slowly re-established themselves.  O&I was going to be busy.  Checking in with his team and seeing to their needs would have to be a top priority.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187588 | LD: 5 | CD: 11 (1 mat found)

4 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

To: Firm Anima, O&I Division @Kasumi @Setsuna @Valentine @Grimm Reaper

The raid has ended, successfully, but I'm hearing tales of significant changes throughout Aincrad, including to the skills and equipment we all rely upon.  Check in with your status when and as you are able.  Let me know if you require assistance in any way.  We will gather in the guild hall in a week's time and take stock.  Round up any information you can.  We'll be comparing notes.

Stay safe, and help your fellows as best you can.

A staff meeting was probably long overdue, and could be deferred no longer.  The guild would be relying on his team to determine how best to chart a path forward.  It was the very reason for the division's existence.  The gears in Freyd's mind were already grinding at full RPMs, churning out plans and lists of details to be verified and locations to be checked.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187589 | LD: 7 | CD: 8 (1 mat found)

5 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Ripples in the water caught his attention as something poked its head above the water, perhaps to snatch an insect or take a minimal gulp of air.  The tiny waves lapped over the tips of his boots and reminded him of another notable body of water. 

"The Lake of Reflections," he muttered to himself.  This wasn't it, of course.  he was clearly on the first floor and likely someplace near Tolbana, judging by the landscape and rendering styles of nearby trees.  Every floor had its own distinctive tells.  He had learned to spot them long ago, as a means of navigation.  "If things have changed..."  He wondered if the shattered serenity of Coral and Floor Twenty-two might have finally been restored.  Even the resolution on the fine, misty rain that fell about him seemed to have been improved.

"Did Cardinal run a patch or update, or something?"  Some of the mesh edge matching that had long been an issue on the lower floors were no longer visible.  Even the various critters that ran around to help animate the scenery seemed richer and better integrated.  Their patterns of movement were more fluid and natural, their limited AI's apparently enhanced.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187590 | LD: 6 | CD: 2 (Failure)

5 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Freyd pondered at the pond, momentarily distracted by such an awful pairing of terms.  The drizzle was slowly turning to proper rain.  Nearby NPCs were leaving to find shelter.  Only he and Anthony remained, neither bothered by the weather.  Just for a second, the surface of the water stilled and became as a sheet of perfectly smooth glass, and the world was mirrored in a dual state.  Both were fake.  He found himself nodding unintentionally, as if confirming the significance.  

"Which side of the looking glass are we on now, Montjoy?"

You know better.  That is the wrong question.  The more appropriate one is: are there even any sides at all.

"Well said."  The Whispers cowl felt like it was melting on his head, like a slice of cheese left out in the sun.  The rain soaked in and matted it to the crop of unruly brown hair beneath.  Freyd closed his eyes and turned his face upward, letting the water wash away the last of his lingering doubts.  He needed to refresh before taking on this world again, and there was never time for idleness.  Maybe he would make some, to be spent just like this.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187591 | LD: 2 | CD: 5 (Failure)

5 mats
0 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Another tug on the line prompted an instinctual snap of his wrist.  Freyd barely realized that he'd done so as a large trout came flying out of the water, it's scales glittering like a rainbow in the few rays of light still poking through the cloud cover.  It puffed into a cloud of colourful motes as he received notifications of his quest completion.

"HAH!  Well done, my friend!  See, that wasn't so hard, was it.  I'll be needing my special bait back now, though.  Keep at it and you'll be attracting the best fish around, just like me! HAR HAR HAR HAR."

Freyd just scowled at the man, glad to be rid of him, and wondering what the bait had to do with anything when a prompt opened right in front of his face.

<<Quest Completed!>>

You have unlocked: Fisher Profession

"Whuh.... That's a thing now?"  The mere notion of actually fishing or gathering to collect materials had always seemed pointless to him.  As a Merchant, he never used the damned things, and so they became just another form of currency.  He'd even found ways to get better deals by carefully selecting which he used to pay for things.  

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187592 | LD: 18 | CD: 10 (Success) - 1 mat found. 1 Gleaming Scale found.

6 mats
1 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

That brought up another interesting question.  Opening his user interface, Freyd found that much of the data had been re-organized.  Most of his custom links and interfaces had been scrapped or were no longer compatible.  Even worse, the entire layout had changed to new default settings, half of which didn't make any sense. 

"Appraiser?   That's... wait. What's up with my stat summaries.  Some of these numbers seem way off..." Fingers scanned at the screen, even as the rain fell right through it.  Contingency reality could be such a funny thing.  "Tier 4?"  His eyes focused on his active gear and noticed modifications to the tiers of certain items.  They grew to the size of saucers as he discovered the new options available to him under his re-written profession.  "That has some seriously useful potential, for everyone."  Another bulb went off as he realized the extent of changes in the system.  Reaching up to his collar, he pulled it out and spoke down towards his own chest.

"Persi?  Are you still with me?"

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187593 | LD: 12 | CD: 4 (Failure)

6 mats
1 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Blackness oozed down from his jacket, spilling into his lap and all over the deck before reforming into the same shadow mongoose familiar he had always known.  Horizontally slotted, brilliant azure eyes blazed from her tenebrous head even as she rubbed her cheek against his arm.  A few quick sniffs confirmed the absence of hostiles, and so she went immediately to Freyd's lap where she curled in and settled like a semi-liquid slime and started purring contentedly.  The rain gave her no more trouble than it did him.  A gloved hand rubbed at the scruff of her neck, dialing up the purring amplitude.  She was happy, and still here, which made him happy in turn.  They'd been through so much, it would have been a hit to have lost her to a random software upgrade.

He'd have to go check on Quip and Dingo, Miri, Quaestor, Typhon and Jeeves.  The Madrigal should be reformed.  Founding a guild was also something beyond his experience, though he couldn't bring himself to even consider leaving Firm Anima.  It felt too much like home.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187594 | LD: 2 | CD: 6 (Failure)

6 mats
1 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

Another nibble on the line kept his attention on a pond for a while longer.  This one was sassy and needed to be worn down before he could haul it in.  Another mat collected, because: why not?  Just as quickly as it had begun, the shower stopped and the low ceiling of grey clouds above began to thin, then part.  Light choked away the dinge and cast aside any remaining bits of melancholy, as he'd hoped would happen at Shadow's downfall.  This would do just as well.

"I'm glad to still have you with me, Persi, and you as well, Montjoy.  This place wouldn't be quite as bearable without the two of you."

Persi just rolled onto her back and stuck her paws in the air to sun herself, ignoring him as she so often did.  Perhaps she was just soaking up the attention at the same time?  She was never one to admit anything less that complete independence and entitlement.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187595 | LD: 18 | CD: 8 (1 mat found)

7 mats
1 gleaming scales

Edited by Freyd

A figure of shadow peeled itself from the planks as the sun returned, puffing up like some strange, inflatable void until it fully took shape.  Freyd found himself stating at a copy of himself, staring back in contentment and pride.  

We've come a very long way, haven't we, Freyd?

His illusory double placed an intangible hand upon his shoulder, then turned to face the light shining upon the water as the sun was making to ready to set.

"Yeah.  Yeah, I guess we really have."

Thank you for that, and the courtesy of heeding my words from time to time.  I means something to us, and is crucial for our balance.

"I guess we'll be starting another day soon.  Good.  I'm looking forward to it."

Persi stretched and stood, settling herself between the two.  All of them were as black silhouettes against the setting sun, akin and yet so completely different.  Somehow, they combined into the essence of a single soul, and were finally ready to take on a brand new version of the world.

Spoiler

Fishing roll: ID #187596 | LD: 9 | CD: 8 (1 mat found)

8 mats
1 gleaming scales

Thread Summary:

Spoiler

image.png.a44a4d4144f327f4ab4c7b32aaad5ab6.png

1 Page 800 EXP  
OR  
Total 3562  
/50
Round down
Tier 4  
x3 852 EXP

1,186 EXP ([852 word count + 300 quest] +3% for Paragon 10)
440 col (400 + 10% for Paragon 5)
8 mats

1 gleaming scale
Unlock Fisher Profession

[Eligible for weekly US roll]

Bahr:
ID# 187659 results:

Battle: 2

Craft: 6

Loot: 6

MOB: 1

US roll failed.