[F27 - PP] The Ronbaru Roundtable

She had a lot more thoughts on the matter than he'd even initially thought. 

He tried for a momen to wrap his head around it. The bureaucracy was giving him a headache. But it was plain and evident to see, especially after Mishiro spent the time debriefing him, that there was a fair bit of internal tension at that table. And it definitely wasn't helped by the fact that Raidou had sauntered up and taken a seat where he obviously wasn't welcome. Was that intentionally to get a rise out of them, or just arrogance? He thought it more likely to be the latter. 

Once Mishiro finished talking, he responded in murmurs. "So it's just a matter of focusing the discussion, then? Guess it's hard to do when each one seems offended by something." Without interruptions, things would probably go a lot smoother. Pinball could see that Mishiro intended to get back into the debate, so before she left him to speak once more, he'd give her head a quick pat. "Let me know if there's anything I can do to help..." Not the politicians specifically, but her.

And he'd slink back off to the refreshments. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The representatives listened in silence as Demian and Raidou lobbed them questions. Only once both had fallen silent did Percival lean forward.

“It’s a dangerous liquid, but it’s one that we use every day. It’s really impossible to get anything done without lantern-light, so everyone has access to it. We sell it in our shops, store it in our barns, use it in our homes.” He slanted a glare toward Raidou. “It’s lamp oil. Made from vegetable waste. It is flammable, yes, but this isn’t a toxic chemical. Most everyone has handled it at some point. One of the reasons I’m convinced this was arson is because the fire reeked of lantern oil. This wasn’t a single lantern knocked over, or even a jug sloshed accidentally. This was a deliberate act.” He frowned. “I believe the oil can be obtained in any territory. We all use it.” After the rest of the panel nodded, he concluded, “None of my people were able to describe the arsonists. They were too distracted by the fire, unfortunately.”

Percival glanced toward Tiberius, as if handing him the metaphorical baton. The farmer cleared his throat, then spoke gruffly. “Aye, in the mountains. It’s pretty big, but doesn’t go into other territories, s’far as I know. No casualties, but the crops were a loss, and my people took some hits.”

Fudral spoke next. “We’ve people in place to handle the money aspect. I spend most of my time in the field, doing the training, and working with the soldiers directly.” His expression hardened, jaw clenching beneath his thick beard. “It’s possible someone paid them off. I hadn’t considered it.”

As Kagami asked her question, Percival sat forward again. “It wasn’t much of a meeting,” the bespectacled man corrected. “I sent a message to the estate, explaining the situation, and asking for aid. None came.”

In response, President Brienne sighed. It was not the exasperated gesture of an annoyed woman, but the weary sound of a very tired, very stressed woman. Atlas might have all the glory for carrying the world on his shoulders, but in that moment, Brienne’s struggles seemed equally heavy. “And I’m incredibly sorry. The note arrived right around the same time that the bandits did, and in the chaos, it didn’t cross my desk until days later. We were focused on protecting important historical documents, fearing that the bandits might be after the journals of past presidents. That’s no excuse, but it’s all that I can offer you.” Her gaze met Raidou’s. “My party holds ideals that are… I guess you could say, radical, when compared to Ordsea’s past. The territory has tended to lean toward isolationism. Not necessarily building walls,” her gaze flicked toward Hugh, and she amended, “- though that was a part of his campaign platform - but more so just remaining removed from everyone else’s business. I never cared much for it, and I’ve always struggled to understand why we don’t cooperate. As I mentioned, it makes so much more sense for us to work together. Each territory specializes, which is fine, but should we not attempt to fill those gaps where we can?” 

She reached up to scrub at her face, then raked her fingers through her riotous black curls. Kagami’s words were getting to her, that much was evident. The proud president was struggling to maintain her composure. “It’s been hard,” she finally admitted. "We won, but it was only a matter of a few dozen votes. President Hugh demanded two recounts, actually, and many still question whether the win was legitimate. I did want to go into politics, and see this dream of a united region become a reality. I just - well, to be honest, I never expected this much animosity. I truly thought that what I was doing was right, for everyone, not just Ordsea. And I do still think that cooperation is what’s best.” She breathed in deeply through her nose, then let the air slip past her lips. Twice. Three times. “I still believe people are inherently good. I have to believe that. But it has been so hard. The death threats, the protests, the constant questioning. It is enough to make me wonder if I’m cut out for the job. And if I’m wondering, I can’t fault anyone else for doubting me.” Her chin dipped momentarily, but she shoved it back up again, one final attempt at defiance. “I’ll continue doing my best, but if an election were held tomorrow, there is no doubt in my mind that President Hugh would be reelected.”

Spoiler

This round ends at 11:59 PM EDT on September 9th.
Countdown Timer

Current Participants: @Oji@Pinball@Mishiro @Shin Kagami @Raidou @Demian

Offering a hand on the Shin's shoulder, although perhaps such a thing was not wanted she appeared to be in need of some comfort. However, her response could be either one of dismay or safety. Those pieces would fall where they may. "Radical..." A simple decree while locking eyes with the woman before his hand slides free. "And yet, match my own." The few footfalls that grace crimson carpet. Bold, yes but the façade could soon fall away.

"There is no reason to lose heart now, Brienne. Your ideals were challenged by a turn coat, the fault lies not in your view but those that would conspire against them." The nomad reaches to his brow and removes his glasses, folding up the sides and pocketing them. Passing by Damien, on the guys immediate right Raidou reaches the foot of the stage. Peering over the risen platform.

"Your culprit, had a reason, the funding, the resources, and backing. Your culprit is conniving, deceitful and petty. He sought to exclude Destin from your proceedings, discount Brienne's ideals. Weaken her resolve. Moreover, has kept a nonchalant detachment from this entire affair. Each of you would question my motives." Raidou's gaze turns to Damien and silently mouths the words.

*No matter what happens, do not let him escape*

A vision of red begins to billow from the mans shoulders, as his outrage festers. Becoming a thickened film that oozes like dry ice and collects along the floor. A piercing line that could move mountains finds that vision locked to Hugh.

"To the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools.
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury."

A brash retelling of a final act. Raidou hoists himself up and finds a foothold on its rim. A weapon flashes itself upon the swordsman's back, thirsty for the moment it may be drawn.

"truth will come to light;
murder cannot be hid long;
a man’s story may,
but at the length truth will out."

The heavy intention under piercing red eyes, as he'd recount a fitting tale that was proof upon this stage. If this were a play, then the villain had finally been uncovered. Mere moments now left but a hairline of life, to whom the three sisters had woven and Atropos was inspecting coyly. "Allow me the reason, lighted fool." Raidou spat as he kneeled low, ready to break at the first sign of retreat. All these levels had to be good for something, hoping to curb Hugh's attempts to flee.

"You and your party could not stand the thought of Brienne's ideals. Again, you tried to push and take her seat from beneath her. Two recounts? Had to try. Did you attempt to pay off those that were responsible? How much did it cost to bribe the men of Braso to again try and remove this woman from power? A failed assassination, did they still charge you? Does Unity trouble you and your conspirators that much, that you would threaten lives by destroying the means to which common people including those of your own people!"

Reaching for the handle on his blade, his motives were clear: Murder deserved no other answer, and Hugh was aiming in the hundreds or thousands. The questions rhetorical.

"What mistake have you made, Hugh?" A line repeated on each acts closing of every monster he'd ever faced. But what followed was not the ring of steel and a spray of light. A slight nod to Fudral

"Apprehend him Commander, Or I will."

"...Don't."

A hand laid firmly upon the hilt of Raidou's blade. The matador had a foot propped on the edge of the stage and she was peering up at him from where she stayed faithfully on the audience's side. Her hands were bare.

"You: a foreigner dictating that these nations indict one of their highest officials over your suspicions. Do you understand the weight of those claims, Raidou? Do you have proof, or are you about to draw your sword because you intend to carve it out yourself?" She drew her hand back, her voice icily calm, even as her words shifted to a more beseeching tone. "Please, stand down. Please don't escalate this situation any more than required. This meeting is meant to be civil."

She took a few more steps in retreat, placing herself at the podium, and addressed the representatives. "May I still ask some questions…?"

"Mr. Tiberius," she began as soon as she was granted permission. "Earlier, you described the cave-in as an attack, similar to the incidents in Srona and Ordsea. Caves can simply collapse on their own, especially if a lot of work is being done within their area, or so I recall. What makes you believe it wasn't an accident? And to add onto that, has anyone not from Dagan gone into these caves near the day of the incident?"

This, she wasn't very optimistic about. Caves, one could easily control the entry points. Storehouses that were likely part of a town? She was under the impression that these territories, save for Ronbaru, were quite insular. Perhaps it was worth an attempt. "Mr. Percival, I would like to direct a similar question to you. Are only Sronians allowed inside or within close proximity to your storehouses?

"If you may allow me to put forward a theory." This time, she shifted her focus to addressing all of the representatives in general. "The fact that all of these incidents happened on the same day means that the group responsible for Ms. Brienne's attempted assassination is likely culpable for the rest. I apologize if this just comes across as mere conjecture, but it is my belief that all of your answers so far wouldn't get us anywhere unless they are pieced together – and on that day, there is certainly no other suspicious element aside from those bandits. The only thing left unsettled is their motive.

"Which is why I believe that despite his impropriety, Raidou's suspicions deserve consideration."

She hadn't been defending Hugh. She wished she had a better way to communicate that – they had the same conclusion, only it was for that exact same reason that she understood how flimsy the case they had built was. Couple that with his… conduct. If his attitude had gotten him thrown out, what would it have done for the credibility of his claim? She intended to apologize to Raidou later, but now that the accusation was out in the open, they had to press the attack before Hugh had the time to put more of his guard up.

"The services of Braso's knights come at a high price and based on Mr. Fudral's answer, only Ordsean officials can afford it. These former knights-in-training, already unsure of their position within Braso after having been disciplined, would surely be tempted at the prospect of earning a regular knight's keep, no? Furthermore, Raidou argued that there is a plausible motive. The political opponent, and her ideals of unity, the very thing these recent incidents put at risk.

"Mr. Hugh, I would like to ask a question. What can you say to all of this?"

//
trying to tie srona and dagan's incidents together with ordsea's (again). reframing raidou's thing from "you did it. you're under arrest." to "you might have done it, please defend yourself."

his questions had been less effective than before. and, though he hadn't put much thought into kagami's own proposal, somehow, that did get brienne to start talking more.

demian was astonished.

his vision bounced between the open politician and her encourager, considering. the capacity of players, he thought, relief slipping out of him through an exhaled breath. demian hadn't even been aware he was holding it. if his surprise was interrupted, it was only due to catching raidou having directed something to him – an intent, that demian couldn't quite place responsibility on. so he winced, tilting his head.

their accusations had been placed on hugh. and if this was to be their united directive, then so be it. however, participating physically was something out of his jurisdiction, for many reasons more than one. on the brink of a refusal that emerged as nonchalance, demian simply let his gaze be taken by the next event – a young woman daring enough to interrupt the rowdiest of them all – and the gears in his plan started churning again.

this could work.

"i suppose i'd also like to question the other leaders from what brienne had said," demian spoke aloud, directed mostly to the woman as he found space by the podium, if not on it, to pose his queries. "percival, tiberius, fudral. have any of you experienced pressures such as these in your position? 'the death threats, the protests, the constant questioning'; the recounts. does your path to leadership also take the same route as brienne's, or were you appointed the role due to some other circumstances?"

demian rolled his head, looking towards brienne, despite his words addressing everyone else but. "what i'm trying to say is – if the context surrounding this designation seems out of the ordinary, especially in comparison with everyone else, then perhaps it is worth considering that the fault be lain within the political environment within ordsea. after all, if we are all gathered here today to discuss what had occurred within the territories prior, and without intervention, had the discussion deteriorate into a situation in which to each his own, it would play into the hands of brienne's opposition. 'a house divided cannot stand'."

he gestured as he spoke. "we know that outcome is entirely possible, when the opportunity to gather you all here shouldn't have been squandered on finger pointing. rather, it would be best having discussed what resources you could each afford each other in the present than plan for your own in the future. that's what a united region would look like, isn't it?"

"so i do have to ask, just as well, if destin's appearance was 'neither wanted, nor needed, at this assembly'." demian's eyes met the librarian's first, before shifting over to hugh. "because from what i'd observed, he seemed to be a great mediator for the discussion, too."

Kagami’s eyes were empty, peeking behind their knees, and staring at something no one else in the room could see. Their face looked like a porcelain doll, ready to shatter at a moment’s notice. A bomb could have went off next to Kagami and they wouldn’t have flinched. The virtual reality that Kagami chose to be their true reality gradually slipped away from them, and the memories from the outside world snuck their way in. They could see the desks at the schools they attended in front of them, the cold, empty room they slept in, and their damned face in the mirror.

The only thing that grounded them was Raidou. Kagami was brought back to their (virtual) reality when they felt Raidou’s hand on their shoulder. His words still fell on deaf ears, and his face blended together with Kagami’s father’s. Kagami snapped out of their delusion. That look of approval didn’t suit his face. Kagami stared at Raidou’s back as he walked onwards to the front of the stage. Kagami couldn’t help the smile growing on their face. It all felt so stupid. But they were completely happy with that.

And as everyone walked up towards the stage and pitched in with their accusations and questions to further emphasize their accusations, Kagami caught onto the words of the noirette. Just, what if, it wasn’t an attack on everyone? What if the attacks were just on Srona and Brienne? Not that it mattered, but those two in particular were extremely important. Kagami sprinted out to the foyer to grab a drink and a couple of cocktail weenies to enjoy while waiting for their turn.

“I agree with the lady here.” Kagami gestured towards Mishiro. From what I know, there was no indication that Dagan was attacked. However, I’d love to be corrected.” They clapsed their hands together and looked towards Tiberius. Awaiting for the confirmation. “If that’s the case, the only real attacks were Srona and Brienne. And my guess would be that Srona was attacked before they tried to kill Brienne so that there would be no medicine to treat her. If that’s the case, Dagan was just an unfortunate coincidence.

“Assuming that’s the case, may I propose a timeline of events?” Kagami started pacing back and forth and from one side of the stage to the other. “Sometime before this all occurred, a group of trainees took weapons from Braso’s armory and left the Targok training camp. These trainees may have started working as independent mercenaries or displayed themselves in the labor market and willing to accept any job. Like Fudral has mentioned, food and medicine do not come cheap.

“At some point, Hugh or the radicals who are in his party or that support his party, were looking for solutions to remove Brienne from power. They probably weren’t thinking of a grand scheme, at least not yet, so they decided on an assassination. That’s when they found out that there were some trainees from Braso they could hire. The warriors of Braso has their reputation precede them, so they would be a safe choice. Even if they failed or were discovered, it would help out their platform anyways. I can see the headlines already.” Kagami waved their hands in front of them. “Braso warriors attacked and killed President Brienne. Can we really trust the other territories?

“However, there was just one problem. Srona’s medicine stores. If medicine could be brought to Brienne in time, could it save her life? It was a risk in their plan, so they chose to burn it. A shortsighted decision made for a shortsighted goal.” Kagami looked towards Percival for any sign of approval or understanding.

“On the day the events occurred, Destin randomly asked an adventurer to seek out these phrases and to make their way onto Dagan.

“Dagan, coincidentally, had a cave-in that the adventurer helped with. After helping with the cave-in, Tiberius asked the adventurer to go to Srona to ask for medicine to help with the injuries.

“After arriving in Srona, they find out that all of the medicine storehouses were being burned down. These medicine storehouses being burned down for the explicit purpose that President Brienne will not be treated in their upcoming attack. The adventurer helps with the fire and also helps Percival to gather materials to create some healing salves to replenish their destroyed stock. Percival then asked the adventurer to help inform Brienne about what should be done.” As the cogs turned, Kagami had a mischevious smile on their face. “It seems that Percival trusts Brienne a lot and enough to ask the adventurer to talk to her specifically. Maybe that’s why he was upset with Brienne’s lack of a response.” Kagami may not have had a lot of luck in romance, but that didn’t stop them from creating pairings in their mind. They'd make a good pair after all. Based on absolutely zero evidence, at least.

“Anyways, that was when the adventurer reached the Ordsean presidential estate before the group of trainees. The attack then happened, but President Brienne was safe and was able to identify the bandits/trainees as being from Braso thanks to her bodyguard.” Kagami paused for a couple of seconds. Noticing a gap in the investigation. “Do we still have that bandit’s body? Has Sir Fudral verified, or can verify, that they belonged to the trainee?” Kagami continued on with their conjecture.

“Lastly, the adventurer travelled to Braso. Of which, it is no importance other than gaining the trust of Sir Fudral and providing us this critical information about the trainees.

“Now that the assassination attempt has failed to remove Brienne from power, the radical supporters or party members that ran against Brienne needed another opportunity to fix the problem.” Kagami’s tone was sarcastic and they made air quotes to emphasize that last word. “So, now this summit was made. Obviously, it could have benefitted all, but it was purposefully designed to harm Brienne. This summit has had key officials not attend by choice of the official mediator, and the official mediator has done nothing to step in between the representatives’ fights. Their goal had shifted entirely. They no wanted to longer physically harm Brienne, but to remove her from power by making her goals seem impossible. The denial to coordinate food, medicine, and protection and the further division and breakdown of relations between the territories would have been a perfect result for Brienne’s opponents.”

Kagami clapped their hands together and turned towards the representatives and the other players. “How does this sound?” Kagami then faced Hugh, staring the official mediator right in the eyes. “Would you consider this to be accurate?” Kagami rested their hand on the pommel of their sabre and smiled. Being self-aware of how it looked, Kagami spoke up for one final time. “This is for protection. Not for mine, but so that no person will be harmed. That, of course, includes Ms. President Brienne.”

• 3 weeks later...

In the moment, Hugh looked a bit like a spooked horse. His nostrils flared, and his eyes rolled wildly, unable to settle on any one thing for too long. As the accusations landed like blows from a fist, he soundlessly opened and closed his mouth. Finally, when there came a lull in the questioning, he inserted himself back in.

"Destin had no place here," the man snapped, jabbing a finger in the bearded NPC's direction. "That's why he was invited. Nothing happened in Ronbaru, so he had nothing to contribute. All he'd do is blow smoke. He's old, and half the time, no one knows what he's talking about." Destin's only response was to lift his bushy eyebrows, amusement, rather than insult, in his expression.

Next, he rounded on Kagami. "Brienne doesn't need an entire summit just to show her incompetence. She does it every damn day." Hugh's eyes drilled into the dark-haired woman, the venom in his words matched by the poison in his gaze. "Her entire tenure has been a farce, a parade of mistakes and bad choices. She ran her entire campaign on empty promises. Unity? Equality?" The former President seethed. "It could never happen. And why would we want it to? Why would we want that? The people of Ordsea do not need to concern themselves with the other territories. Did the Kings of old concern themselves with the pigs in their sties? The peasants? The brutes?" He glanced at Tiberius, Percival, and Fudral in turn. "Of course they didn't. And Ronbaru." His lips curled into a humorless sneer. "Dagan over there was right about you. Just a bunch of hippies."

Dagan surged to his feet, but Destin held up a hand to stop him. It seemed that he was more than happy to let the production play out. "We've given him enough rope," the scholar whispered, slanting a knowing glance toward Raidou.

Now watch as the man hangs himself.

"There was nothing coincidental about the cave in," Hugh informed Kagami. "I thought those idiot bandits had botched it up, needlessly shattering the crystals the way they did after I asked them to stage it like an accident. Apparently they weren't the idiots." He barked out a laugh. "I arranged the collapse, because it was just like that bumbling baboon to get angry and withhold his food supplies. It doesn't take much to upset a moron, does it?"

Tiberius snarled, hands clenching into fists, but respected Destin's wish to remain still.

"Burning the medicine was a precaution, to ensure Srona got involved. Watching everyone convince that alchemist he was being paranoid was just a nice bonus. And Fudral?" Now Hugh turned a wolfish grin on the Commander. "How does it feel, having your own men turn on you? Like you failed? Like you're incapable?"

The man held his arms wide, addressing the entire stage. "You're all incapable! You all failed! You would have without my intervention - I only sped up the process. There is no united world, and there will never be. The strongest territory will rise to the top, and as I've clearly demonstrated, it will be Ordsea, with me at the helm."

Finally, he turned to face Raidou. Arms still splayed, the doomed politician boomed, "Those soldiers will not arrest me! They don't take orders from you."

"But they take orders from me." 

Brienne stood, surrounded by the other four representatives. Together, they formed a unit. "Guards, apprehend this man, and take him to the Ronbaru jail." She glanced toward Destin, who offered a small smile. Then she continued, "We'll all be involved in his trial, as he wronged each of us." Tiberius, Percival, and Fudral nodded, turning from Brienne to the sputtering, thrashing Hugh.

The leaders watched, a united front, as the thing that threatened their peace was locked away.

Just as their forefathers had done hundreds of years before.

Congratulations!!.png

Total Word Count: 24,974

Spoiler
Player Tier EXP Multiplier Staff Rewards Final EXP Col
Mishiro 2     4995 5000
Pinball 7     17482 7622
Oji 3     7492 5000
Shin Kagami 1     2497 5000
Raidou 13     32466 9870
Demian 2     4995 5000
Lessa 7   4373 4373 5000

* Staff reward calculation: Plot Master Word count [6247] / 10 * (Treated as tier 7) = 3630
** All participants earned 5,000 col. Laurel wreaths applied to all non-staff members who qualified.

Event Rewards | Choose one (1) of the following items:

• Dagan Crystal-A | Removes one enhancement on a weapon and replaces it with Envenom Offensive. (This effect cannot override the Envenom Offensive enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)
  • Dagan Crystal-B | (Tierless/Consumable - Instant (during healing effect)/Re-usable) | Once per thread, as a free action: Add an additional +5% to any post action healing effect. This value exceeds normal maximum HP, and will become temporary HP. This effect is applied before Life Mending is calculated and benefits from it. (This item must be present in battle ready inventory to be used.)

• Srona Crystal-A | Removes one enhancement on a weapon and replaces it with Blight. (This effect cannot override the Blight enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)
  • Srona Crystal-B | Removes two enhancements on an item and replaces them with Life Mending 2. (This effect cannot override the Life Mending enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)

• Ordsea Crystal-A | Removes one enhancement on an item and replaces it with Flame Aura. (This effect cannot override the Flame Aura enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)
  • Ordsea Crystal-B | (Tierless/Consumable - Instant (during any action that generates hatred)/Re-usable) | Once per thread, as a free action: Add an additional +5 hatred to any hatred generated by you. This will apply in addition to any other hatred generation from skills or attacks. (This item must be present in battle ready inventory to be used.)

• Braso Crystal-A | Removes one enhancement on a weapon and replaces it with Absolute Accuracy. (This effect cannot override the Absolute Accuracy enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)
  • Braso Crystal-B | Removes one enhancement on a weapon and replaces it with Phase. (This effect cannot override the Phase enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)

• Ronbaru Crystal-A | | Removes one enhancement on a weapon and replaces it with Static. (This effect cannot override the Static enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)
  • Ronbaru Crystal-B | Removes one enhancement on an item and replaces it with Frost Aura. (This effect cannot override the Frost Aura enhancement cap. Consumed on use.)
  • 2 weeks later...

receiving:

Ordsea Crystal-B | (Tierless/Consumable - Instant (during any action that generates hatred)/Re-usable) | Once per thread, as a free action: Add an additional +5 hatred to any hatred generated by you. This will apply in addition to any other hatred generation from skills or attacks. (This item must be present in battle ready inventory to be used.)