Opinion on the Dice system

Future Dice System  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What dice system should be used?

• Dice on the side/ built in (on top in quick post)
    • 3rd party dice roll
    • Other? Non-dice based system.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually often use dice to determine my free form. While my luck was insanely good for combat, the bad roll next time round had me determine that i tripped and faceplanted.

I suppose it serves a good guideline for people who want an RNG'er to help them sort what they want, free forming their battles. When it comes round to competitive fighting though like in the arena, it should either be GM controlled or third party verified like in the above examples to ensure no cheating against other players. 

I understand that Ourian, but we can no longer implement the system the same way unless someone makes a code in java that does that. If you think another system should be used that isn't listed then please explain and describe what you think. 

I am looking passed the cheating portion of all of this because I want us to grow as a community. Trust is key in a community, I do understand that people will still cheat, but some people just have to talk things out and gain the respect of others. If players are cheating to escape death, then it won't be any fun for anyone. Just accept the fact of what happened in the battle and whatever happens, happens. You can always create another character. It's not like the person typing actually dies so there isn't any risk to the actual person. 

Just my two cents on the matter.

So let me get this straight... Your two cents on the matter is that you are hoping that people will be trustworthy enough to play by a trust factor?! If you want to trust in anything, trust in me when I say that this will not last long... People are going to abuse the hell out of this system... just saying...

As for explaining myself, I think I did a pretty good job of that earlier

Just gotta say, feedback is what helps the moderators and admits troubleshoot and fix the system. They get what you're saying. Help them help you. Getting flagrant or acerbic isn't going to help them implement a better system.

As for the system, frankly, whatever works best. Polling the community seems to be dead-ending, so it might be executive decision time. I'm not averse to doing what's decided on.

So let me get this straight... Your two cents on the matter is that you are hoping that people will be trustworthy enough to play by a trust factor?! If you want to trust in anything, trust in me when I say that this will not last long... People are going to abuse the hell out of this system... just saying...

As for explaining myself, I think I did a pretty good job of that earlier

It isn't a matter of 'going to' abuse.  People already are abusing.

It isn't a matter of 'going to' abuse.  People already are abusing.

Yes, but we knew this might happen. That's why we considered the first few weeks a trial period after moving.  The goal now is to determine if the community still wants a regulated  RP at the cost of additional work on everyone's part, or switch to a free-form system.

My opinion is the current system is fine because as said before, cheaters would cheat their way out regardless of the dice rolls. It helps for me give me a RNG to work off when doing battles etc.

For anything PVP competitive or such like the arena, then a verifiable dice system would need to be in place. Otherwise I'm okay how it is.

Truthfully, I think we'll lose a lot if we give up the dice all together. The element of failure - be it crafts, loot, combat maneuvers - is what makes this site so interesting. I already mentioned that I feel it improves my roleplaying experience and my writing. But it also gives the community as a whole a bit more depth. What will happen when every craft is a perfect one? There won't be any need to shop around for blacksmiths or tailors. What will happen when every roll is a critical in a boss battle? Will there be the camaraderie, and people trying to help protect and heal each other after failed attempts? What about the strategy?

Straight free-form is a lot of fun. Its what I've done my entire life. But I think this system is so appealing because it requires you to fall flat on your face occasionally.

People will abuse a system. But we can figure those individuals out pretty quickly. As I mentioned in my previous post, we (as a site) should keep moving forward with some sort of die system. We'll figure out who is cheating soon enough. And the rest of us will move on with our lives.

At first, I was incredibly upset with this change. But the more I think about it, the less it gets to me.

Cheaters are forced to wear a cursed pendant called the 'Lucky Pendant of Confirmed Cheating', which has -5 in all Loot Rolls ;)

In all seriousness though, even then I would only enforce "ya cheatin" on people who always get the highest roll/dont get hit when fighting monsters. After all, there is only so much Deus ex Machina you can pull until God just wants to stay inside the machine wants you to bugger off and let him sleep. Honestly, those who consistently cheat are ruining the experience for themselves. Besides, cheaters would be really obvious with their always perfect rolls.

Even if you happen to have just weirdly good luck, do what I do and have Karma go right back at them. I miraculously got two 20 LD rolls for rares, so I had my character get trampled by a boar. Or if in a fight it looks like you're gonna win this way too easy, give them a fighting chance. I earlier actually buffed an enemy attack against me with their roll because otherwise I'd have left with only a scratch.

I suppose this is a case of fun roleplaying vs winning. Right now, we enforce a role of fun, so its not so much an issue.

However some people may be desperate to not have their character decease and cheat because of that. If we want to employ a system that say, knocks them unconscious rather than killing them outright, maybe less people would cheat. I right now wouldnt mind Tristan dying, but imagine a year down the line when I have invested a lot into him. I'd be, entirely honestly, real pissed if he died and have all the effort go to purgatory.

/2cents

Honestly, we do need a dice system, without it loses a lot of what makes this site the way it was to begin with. I was drawn to this RP site because of the dice system, and while I did have my struggles (ex. one of my quests took a while to kill 5/5 HP mobs to gain 4 mats to finish --> say 2-3 pages long), i enjoyed how it would be realistic.

That said, there will always be cheaters, I do admit, sometimes I do role first to see if the mob would miss an attack first, or I would land a good hit, at the start of each battle, however without a dice system, it could get worst. However, these type are the minor type that we would have to live with, now if someone kept rolling 3 20's on the loot dice in a row, that is somthing that we would have to deal with.

I do agree that anything competive or drops a good loot (uncommon or higher) - [boss battles] should require some sort of vertification.

Honestly, we do need a dice system, without it loses a lot of what makes this site the way it was to begin with. I was drawn to this RP site because of the dice system, and while I did have my struggles (ex. one of my quests took a while to kill 5/5 HP mobs to gain 4 mats to finish --> say 2-3 pages long), i enjoyed how it would be realistic.

That said, there will always be cheaters, I do admit, sometimes I do role first to see if the mob would miss an attack first, or I would land a good hit, at the start of each battle, however without a dice system, it could get worst. However, these type are the minor type that we would have to live with, now if someone kept rolling 3 20's on the loot dice in a row, that is somthing that we would have to deal with.

I do agree that anything competive or drops a good loot (uncommon or higher) - [boss battles] should require some sort of vertification.

Basically going to agree to this.

While not perfect, the dice gives people a reason not to twist in their favour. In a free form its very easy to twist into your own favour, even unintentionally.

• 2 weeks later...

An idea just hit me, since we added a die for mobs. (Yeah, it took me a minute, but I got used to it.)

Generally, we've always just based the success of a block/parry/dodge maneuver off of the battle die. If we can add more dice, why not add a die for defensive maneuver pass/failure? Just a thought. I won't freak out this time if a die does get added. Promise. <3

I like the dice system; and I am pretty sure I was utilizing it right (new here, only used it twice) when I just copy/pasted whatever the roll was into the post.
In saying that, I can see how that would be abused, I was new to it all so just did what I assumed was right.

Taking a super quick glance at the 3rd party system linked earlier by Cindel: to my assumption: it shows what was rolled to alleviate cheating? With the name search function you can search way back: or all the dice rolls the player used, which I think is a fantastic idea.
My ONLY concern would  be how logged would this get with multiple users using this system. It's fine now - but 6 months from now, there are going to be a butt tonne of rolls and a butt tonne of people. 

Unless it was refreshed monthly or archived monthly?

I personally don't see the point of cheating any sort of system, completely destroys the point of a RP experience, to me a RP is adapting to situations given to you, unknown factors and all that jazz. 

Taking a super quick glance at the 3rd party system linked earlier by Cindel: to my assumption: it shows what was rolled to alleviate cheating? With the name search function you can search way back: or all the dice rolls the player used, which I think is a fantastic idea.

My ONLY concern would  be how logged would this get with multiple users using this system. It's fine now - but 6 months from now, there are going to be a butt tonne of rolls and a butt tonne of people. 

Unless it was refreshed monthly or archived monthly?

The max cut off is most recent 200 entries. If you search a specific player it will be their most recent 200 entries.  I'll be adding an option to search by ID# in the future as well, so you could still look up an entry a year from now by entering the ID# referenced in the post the rolls were used in.  Despite only showing the most recent 200 rolls, all the data is still there and accessible by GM's.

Cydel, at a quick glance, will the mob dice be intergrated into the searches. I did a quick search of my previous dices, and noticed that the mob dice was not found at all. Other than that, I like your system a lot, its easy to use, and it takes cheating out of it. :)

Just a quick question with the looting dice, will the numbers be adjusted in the future as it currently shows d25 (according to the loot, col, materials guide) rules, but the loot dice is d20. I do understand that is not as important as getting the current dice system running in the short term, but hopefully thats on the radar somewhere down the road to take a look at.