[PP-F9] <<Guardian of Fire>> Hot dog roast and newbie cook-off!

In the most recent information published by <<The Rat>>, arguably the best info-broker in SAO, a new quest was revealed. The <<Guardian of Fire>> quest looked quite challenging. The environmental factors themselves were enough to make this a very dangerous quest, but the boss at the end was a piece of work itself. <<Cerberus>>, the 3 headed dog would attack three times. <<Hell hounds>> which were tougher than most boss mobs, and fire. Lots of fire.

Where's a good resistance potion when you need one?

Baldur wondered if such a thing existed.

But he sat there with his small party around the azure light of a safe zone located at the base of the volcano where they would enter into the cave. It had taken them two days to get this far, and they were only now at the difficult part. The appropriately named <<Inferno Cavern.>>

"Alright, so just to go over it one more time. When your health gets low from environmental damage, use a healing item. Prioritize it over doing damage unless it's a last hit. You want to maximize your potions, so use it when it'll bring you up to full or almost full. I'm hoping my Battle-healing helps to counter the effect of the heat, but you can't rely on that."

He looked at the faces of those around him.

"Any questions?"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Just one. When do we start?" While Oikawa certainly wasn't the strongest member, he figured if nothing else, his good morale and confidence could make up for what he lacked in the pure power department. Running his hand of the hilt of his blade, he stood up and stretched. Hellhounds, Cerberus himself, and a floor-ton of fire. This is gonna be so fun.. The blond turned to face the group and eyed each and everyone one of them. He knew all of them at this point. And he truly believed that he could trust all of them with his life.

"Well lets get a move on!"

Ariel took a look around her, it seemed like yesterday she was at this floor collecting materials for crafting and meeting new faces. But now she was here again, this time with a set mission.

"So we have to defeat Hell's guarddog, well I believe he will prove a perfect training dummy for the 10th floor's boss." She then noded and started checking her equipment and other items. Of course her ever present companion was there as well roaring in the distance at God knows what, Ariel took a look towards her and sighted then continuing: "Don't mind her, guess she's remembering something from the last 2 times we were here. Anyway I agree with Oikawa, once everybody checked their gear and supplies we can get going." She was excited to start another group quest that actually involved fighting some strong opponent.

((Poor King being left behind, you should've brought him too.

Tyger munched on a field ration while she listened to her boyfriend go over the plan. Granted, it meant that if (heaven forbid) something happened, she'd be able to take control with the same plan as she'd heard it enough to commit it to memory. But, on the flip side, that's what made Baldur such a good leader. He was prepared and ready to make sure that everyone in the group knew their role, and what the plan was. The Rat had told them about the quest, and as intimidating as it seemed, it would be a good experience as well as good experience for the group. As the team's tank, Tyger did her best to prepare herself as well.

"I'm ready when you are. I've got my potions stocked, but i'm hoping I won't need them. Field ration is uh, dry, slightly bitter, but i'll down it here in a second. And I made sure to buff out the scratches on my equipment, so maybe Cerbs'll be distracted by my nice, shiny armor."

Well, sort of. She'd left her fur cape at home, as she didn't want it to get burned. Well, that, and this floor was hot. H-O-T Hot. Her gaze wandered over Oikawa, Ariel, Baldur, and their newest companion Alyss. She owned the sweets shop that she prayed Baldur would bring a gift home from, but she'd eventually wander her way over there to see the wares for herself. What girl didn't want chocolate? 

"If you guys have any questions, or feel threatened, feel free to ask and get behind me. I'll tank the entire time. My priority is keeping hate. Doing damage is second, but i'll do what I can. Ya'll just worry about taking it down. Watch your HP, and don't feel bad about downing a potion."

Icarus sat at her feet, obediently controlling his urges to rub soot on everyone in the group. When Tyger seemed ready, the dragon crawled up her back armor to rest at her shoulders. Eventually she'd have to build a little harness, or something on her back (maybe metal wings?) Just so the dragon would have something to rest against when he sat on her back. Or hold onto, at least. Tyger seemed in well enough spirits, much better when Baldur wasn't getting speared by a swamp stalker. 

"I dunno about ya'll, but i'm pretty excited."

She snickered.

Alyss was standing there with her Companion Poo by her side, and a Cheese burger in her hand since she needed the extra health it would give her as she smiled at the group.

"Looks like we got quite the strong group here, hopefully no one dies here, that would be quite horrible if that was to happen" she said and was fished with her food as she would get the +9 Health buff.

She then started checking her gear to make sure she had not forgot anything, potions check, weapon check, armor check.

"So are we ready to move out and kill some dogs?"

pits_of_inferno_by_deathmetaldan-d4bv9fy

Baldur could easily describe the Inferno Cavern. It was hell. Or hades if you wanted to be more specific. Where they sat, was the gates of Hades; a maw in the earth to take them where possibly many players would die.

Not us though. Not us. We're prepared.

Baldur had wished that there was some kind of fire resistance potion, or some kind of mitigation they could take, because what the information brokers were saying was intimidating. Still, with a good amount of efficiency, they could make short work of this cave. Baldur took out his <<Field Rations>> and munched on them. He should have picked up butter to add to his food. This game was one of the few times in his life he would be able to go crazy with condiments and not have to worry about the effect it would have on his body. He should take advantage of the small blessings where he could find them.

He looked around at his friends as they stood before the jagged opening in the earth, the faint glow of red radiating out around him.

"Alright, let's do this! Remember, we need to be as quick as possible!"

Drawing his sword, he took a deep breath and plunged into the abyss. 

The heat was immediately oppressive. It reminded him of stepping out of the air condition at the airport and out onto the street in Tokyo; it was a wall of temperature and humidity that was practically palpable. The dark volcanic rocks around them didn't seem black because of the fact that they were volcanic, but rather a slightly more ashen color as if the heat had baked them as well. Ignoring the heat as best he could, he pushed down further into the cave, his steel clad boots crushing the Ê»aʻĠbeneath him. Not far inside of the tunnel was the first beast they would fight. One of the <<Inferno Cavern>> guardian beasts, the <<Hell Hound>>.

The Beat's shoulders were easily at the same height as his own, and the ashen black fur was broken by fissures of fire down its spine that let fire show where another hound would have its fur raised. From it's mouth rather that saliva, magma seemed to drip ominously. The beast took one giant, clawed paw and scraped at the ground beneath them and where the claws passed lava flowed out from the ground. Baldur was taken back by the fearsome sight, but he rallied his courage and pointed towards the beast with his katana.

"Here we go!"

Dropping into a crouching stance, Baldur rocketed towards the beast with his <<charge>>, the blade glowing with cyan light as it cleaved the beat from jaw to tail. The blow rocked the <<Hell Hound>>, causing it to stumble to the ground on all fours.

[iD: 11145 BD: 10 CD: 12 LD: 5 MD: 9]

--Turn Order--

<<Baldur>> 33/33 HP - hits HH#1 for 12 DMG (8 + 2 crit + 2 charge), -1 Environmental dmg, +1 Battle Healing

<<Tyger>> 37/37

<<Oikawa>> 26/26

<<Ariel>> 30/30

<<Alyss>> 33/33

<<Hell Hound #1>> 18/30HP

The heat bit at Tyger like a rabid dog, instantly dropping her HP one point. If the entire shindig was going to be like this, she was glad she had her field rations and the rest of the team here with her. There was no way she would've survived coming here and killing things on her own. She would've made it a good ways in before the heat or Cerberus itself dispatched her quickly. 

"Hey, be careful."

As they began their descent, Tyger bumped Baldur with her hip, as if reassuring him she was still there. In reality, it was her reaching out nervously. She was already sweating under her heavy armor. This wasn't going to do. Icarus held onto the back of her armor as they walked, and Tyger fell into the habit of smearing some of the coal dust under her eyes, as if it would help with anything. The quest wasn't too entirely specific. From what she gathered, they needed to kill a few hounds, and then summon Cerberus. After that, she'd be a bit more useful and would need to tank. Right now they just took things one step at a time in the abyss. 

With the arrival of the first hellhound, Baldur charged. When she was sure he'd hit, Tyger fell back into her charge, closing her eyes as the aura of concentration whirled around her. Icarus's tongue flopped out of his mouth as they dashed forward. At least he was enjoying this. Tyger slammed her sword into the side of the hound, hoping they'd dispatch of it quickly before anything else could come down and mess with them as well. 

"Oikawa, you're up!"

[iD: 11149 BD: 2+3+1 Concentration = 6 CD: 12]

--Turn Order--

H2<<Baldur>> 33/33 HP 

H1<<Tyger>> 36/37 Hits HH for 7 Damage (-1 HP CD 2)

<<Oikawa>> 26/26

<<Ariel>> 30/30

<<Alyss>> 33/33

<<Hell Hound #1>> 11/30HP

(OOC I assume we roll separately for attack CD and our environmental damage CD?

[11191] CD: 12 (This roll is godly :( shame it was wasted on this ....) (PS BD: 9/ LD: 20/ MD: 3 WHY OH WHY  -.-)

After everyone ate there rations and burgers, the group quickly scrambled into the cavern. Like everyone else, Oikawa quickly noticed the heat was overbearing. I already miss the coolness of the 4th floor. And ironically I hate the freaking cold. But that is heaven compared to this life size oven. Descending into the barely lit darkness, Oikawa took note that they were definitely surrounded by lava. Hot lava. Hot rocks. Hot air. Hot. Hot. Hot. This quest is gonna suck -.-

Like a cop waiting to arrest the criminal at their own home, the first <<Hell Hound>> was waiting for them as they rounded the first corner of the cave. Baldur Charged the creature first. His blade enveloped itself in a shimmering blue aura as he slammed it into the hound. Tyger wasted no time following up with a Charge of her own. Glowing a soft orange, she accelerated into the hound and hit it much like a semi truck would hit a fiat. 

The hound rolled deeper into the cave. Our blows were connecting perfectly and Oikawa wanted to continue the trend. Raising his rapier, he brought it shoulder height as it glowed a dull grey. Running down the cavern, he dodge two luges from the hound, as he spun around lodged his blade deep into the creatures side. Ripping his blade free, Oikawa retreated to the group and nodded to Ariel.

Lets kill this thing in one go!

[11192] BD: 7 (4 + 3 ACC) HIT 6 Damage

--Turn Order--

H2<<Baldur>> 33/33 HP 

H1<<Tyger>> 36/37

<<Oikawa>> 26/26 Hits HH for 6 Damage

<<Ariel>> 30/30

<<Alyss>> 33/33

<<Hell Hound #1>> 5/30HP

Alyss had seen the other hit the Hell Hound with there blades, and was standing there enjoying the heat of this place, as she did get a little too warm and took one point of damage from it,

After having found out the place was maybe a little to hot she rushed forward to slash the Hell hound with her blade, that did slide all the way up the side of the hellhound killing it, and not least healing herself two points of damage.

She then jumped back as the mob had died. "That wat one, a heck lot still to go"

[11218] BD: 11 (8 + 3 ACC) HIT 6 Damage +2 Life Steal // CD 5 1 Damage from fire

--Turn Order--

H2<<Baldur>> 33/33 HP 

H1<<Tyger>> 36/37

<<Oikawa>> 26/26 Hits HH for 6 Damage

<<Ariel>> 30/30

<<Alyss>> 33/33

<<Hell Hound #1>> 0/30HP

Kimba was uncharacteristically reluctant to enter the cave in front of them so Ariel went to her side as the rest of the group went inside. "It's okay, I know its hot out here but we've already been here before right? so this is like a walk in the park for us" she then pet the white cub on the head and they started walking inside. When they reached the group again it was in the moment when she saw Alyss hit some kind of giant hound that appeared to be on fire. "Guess I missed the welcoming committee" she said while waving at the group but then she saw another mob, like the one before, spawn. She instinctively unsheathed her rapier and started running towards it. She didn't knew exactly where to strike so she went with the hound's right leg, her aim was true and she used the accumulated momentum to fuel her thrust, striking the mob's leg with pinpoint precision then backing off. She took a look at the groups Hp bars and was surprised to see herself losing 1 HP. "What the ...??"

[11256] BD: 6 (3+3acc) CD: 5 

--Turn Order--

H0<<Baldur>> 33/33 HP 

H0<<Tyger>> 36/37

H0<<Oikawa>> 26/26 

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H1<<Ariel>> 35/36 hits HH#2 for 8 DMG, -1 Environmental dmg,

<<Hell Hound #2>> 22/30HP

((Ariel, since you spawned it, it attacks just before your turn... if it's still alive))

Baldur didn't even really stop moving, but Ariel was so fast she blew past him and attacked the next mob as Baldur turned to look over his shoulder and see how the others were doing with the first. It was gone.

Resting the black of the blade on his shoulder, Baldur dropped into a <<charge>> stance and launched himself at the next <<Hell Hound>>. His blade was illuminated with a blue light as he spun, his blade extending around him in a whirlwind of steel as he crashed into the creature, the katana slicing cleanly through its stony facade. He saw it's HP drop down quickly, and he already eyed the next mob further in the tunnel.

"Next!" Baldur called out, moving away from it and moving down further into the cave towards where the next creature would be. Smoke rose from his haori, and Baldur felt himself cough against the torrid air as he lost a hit point to the temperature.

[iD: 11276 BD: 6 CD: 3]

--Turn Order--

H1<<Baldur>> 32/33 HP - hits for 10 DMG (8+2 Charge)

H0<<Tyger>> 36/37

H0<<Oikawa>> 26/26 

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H1<<Ariel>> 35/36 

<<Hell Hound #2>> 12/30HP

(Sorry, feeling sick so this will be rather lackluster for the moment)

The first Hound they'd charged had already fallen, but that didn't change anything. When one had fallen, another took it's place with precision. Ariel and Baldur managed to thwack it, and when Tyger run forward to slice it with her sword, it had just barely missed, using it's whiplike tail to batter her in the stomach, knocking her to the side. It wasn't an attack, and was probably unintentional, but it threw Tyger off balance and she missed her attack. Icarus scrambled onto Tyger's side to avoid being squished before Tyger stood up once more and shot Baldur a glance, letting him know she was okay. I only get limited hits... She thought to herself. Why am I not making them count? She thought, angrily.

[iD: 11281 BD: 6 CD: 9]

--Turn Order--

H1<<Baldur>> 32/33 HP

H0<<Tyger>> 36/37 - Misses

H0<<Oikawa>> 26/26 

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H1<<Ariel>> 35/36

<<Hell Hound #2>> 12/30HP

Just as soon as the first hound was defeated, another one had appeared. Ariel and Baldur quickly dealt blows to the new Mob. Tyger attempted to take a swing at it, but ended up being swung into the cavern floor. Looks like I'm up then. Dashing forwards, Oikawa slid along the cavern floor to gather some speed. Mid-slide he jumped up and pointed his rapier down right at the creature. Thrusting with some decent force, he impaled the hound. 

Roaring the dog bucked and kicked, sending Oikawa near the edge of the cavern floor. Picking himself up he realized just how close he was to falling in a lava pit. Just as soon as that thought passed, a decent sized lava bubble popped near him, sending tidbits of lava flying towards him. "Ouch! son-of-a-Hades that's hot.." Scooting away from the edge he rejoined the group and nodded for Ariel to make her move.

[iD: 11282 BD: 6 CD: 3] Damage 6

--Turn Order--

H1<<Baldur>> 32/33 HP

H0<<Tyger>> 36/37

H1<<Oikawa>> 25/26 (-1 HP, Environmental damage)

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H1<<Ariel>> 35/36

<<Hell Hound #2>> 6/30 HP (-6)

Alyss was seeing the others swing there weapons at the beast as she would do the same, cutting it in half as it would fall to the ground and explode into pixels.

She would then jump back between the others and wait for the next round to commence.

[iD: 11378 BD: 7+3 CD: 7] Damage 6

--Turn Order--

H0<<Baldur>> 32/33 HP

H0<<Tyger>> 36/37

H0<<Oikawa>> 25/26

H2<<Alyss>> 33/33

H0<<Ariel>> 35/36

<<Hell Hound #2>> 0/30 HP (-6)

After seeing Alyss finish the mob again Ariel let out a sight while addressing Oikawa. "Well yeah Alyss seems to be eager to lead after eating that burger, did you think it gives her some confidence boost that we don't know about?" wanting to test that theory Ariel pulled out from her inventory a <<Field Ration>> she planned to use in the previous boss fight, but never got the chance. She broke it in 2 halfs, giving one to her companion: "Here, maybe this will help us deal with the heat. Who knows how long will this quest take and at least we won't have to fight on an empty stomach." Even though there wasn't nothing visible to deal direct damage to her, Ariel could observe her HP bar going down another 1 hp: "Damn this place keeps taking away my hp for nothing" she muttered as she was munching up her half.

ID: 11398 CD: 3

--Turn Order--

H0<<Baldur>> 32/33 HP

H0<<Tyger>> 36/37

H0<<Oikawa>> 25/26

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H0<<Ariel>> 36/38(-1 HP, Environmental damage/+2 total HP)

Baldur was pleased to see them tearing through the <<Hell Hounds>> with excellent time, but the environmental damage was concerning him. It was ticking away more HP than his battle-healing was regenning him. He had known it would, but he had hoped that it would be a bit less. He was visibly sweating now, but lucky were the sweat droplets that fell from his brow instead just evaporating from his forehead. As before he kept running, letting the others trail after him. The sooner they got through these hell hounds the sooner they could fight cerberus and get out.

As he got closer to the next hound, he paused only a heartbeat to drop into the familiar <<charge>> stance, he <<concentrated> and a blue light slid quickly down the length of his Katana, Tsurugi, and then he was rocketed forward. The blade slashed powerfully through the beast, taking away a third of its health in a single hit.

So fast was his charge, that when he landed behind the mob, he drove the tip of his sword into the ground to slow him down faster for fear of continuing into the lava. As he got next to another pool, he felt a bit of the heat burn away another hit point.

[iD: 11440 BD: 3+2+1=6 CD: 3]

H1<<Baldur>> 31/33 HP Hits for 10 DMG, takes -1 heat damage

H0<<Tyger>> 36/37

H0<<Oikawa>> 25/26

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H0<<Ariel>> 36/38

<<Hell Hound #3>> 20/30 HP

Tyger gritted her teeth, feeling the sting of the heat seeping through her armor. At least she didn't have to worry about Icarus. At least she didn't have to worry about Icarus. As long as she kept repeating that, she felt a bit better. However, watching the team's HP drop a bit each turn made her stomach flop. Add this to the constant threat of 3 angry Cerberus heads... She hoped she was the only one that would really need to worry about the health potions. Tyger watched as Ariel nibbled on a Field Ration. Smart. Tyger prided herself in remembering that she'd technically done it first. 

"Hold on!"

She warned Icarus, who latched on as she prepped herself to charge. The red-headed woman streaked across the field, slamming her sword into the hide of the newest hell hound. Baldur had already hurt it, and despite being a higher level, still did more damage than him. I'm a tank, i'm a tank... don't take it personal. She reminded herself, taking pride in the fact she'd done a bit of damage herself. 

[iD: 11443 BD:7 CD: 4]

H1<<Baldur>> 31/33 

H1<<Tyger>> 35/37 Hits for 7 Damage, -1 Hp

H0<<Oikawa>> 25/26

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H0<<Ariel>> 36/38

<<Hell Hound #3>> 13/30 HP

The team effortlessly dispatched the first two hounds without a hitch. Between Baldur's charge skill, Tyger and Ariel's consistent damage output, and Alyss and I cleaning up what's left, I think we'll clear them out before we succumb to environmental damage. Oikawa grinned at how well they were doing. Trailing the group, he became excited as the next hound came into view. Baldur executed a well polished Charge attack, followed by Tyger's very own charge. They easily knocked the creature's HP to about 43%.

Looks like I'm up. Rushing past his fellow raid mates, Oikawa moved with lightning speed. Raising his rapier to shoulder height, he sparked a faint glow as he thrusted his blade into the hound's shoulder and quickly pulled it out as he ran past the mob. Skidding towards Baldur, he gave the raid leader a thumbs up and voiced for the next person to attack. "Lets finish it guys! We got -Accck," he screamed as another point of damage inked away from his life bar. Stupid environmental damage...

[iD: 11452 BD: 9 CD: 4]

H1<<Baldur>> 31/33 

H1<<Tyger>> 35/37 

H0<<Oikawa>> 24/26 Hits for 7 Damage, Inflicts BLD [+2 Damage for the next two turns 2/2] -1 Hp

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33

H0<<Ariel>> 36/38

<<Hell Hound #3>> 6/30 HP [BLD 2/2 @Oikawa] (-7)

Alyss was getting quite used to giving the finishing blow by now, as she once again would have to do, She did see Oikawa on his way back as she did run past him on the way back from his attack, as she jumps and spins a few times where after she lands with her blade in slamming into the ground in front of her cleaving the dog in half, as she took a few quick steps backwards to get ready for the next one.

[iD: 11514 BD: 9+3 CD: 7]

H0<<Baldur>> 31/33 

H0<<Tyger>> 35/37 

H0<<Oikawa>> 24/26

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33 Hits for 7 Damage 2 Life Steal and 2 Rounds of BLD

H0<<Ariel>> 36/38

<<Hell Hound #3>> 0/30 HP

Everybody was doing a fine job killing of the hounds....actually too well, since they finished a mob before Ariel had a chance to strike it. Seeing the next hound spawning, she dashed directly at it before anybody else could make a move. As she approached it the hounded started howling when it noticed her and seeing the opportunity, Ariel focused(concentrated) her aim so that she would she would stab the mob directly in its open mouth. Luckily thing went smooth as she planned, her strike hitting the desired spot. Afterwards she back off to the group saying: "Now you guys are too good, can't have ya'll take all the fun from me"

ID: 11517  BD: 6 (2 +3acc +1BD<<Concentration>>) CD: 6

H0<<Baldur>> 31/33 

H0<<Tyger>> 35/37 

H0<<Oikawa>> 24/26

H0<<Alyss>> 33/33 

H1<<Ariel>> 36/38 hits HH#4 for 8 DMG

<<Hell Hound #4>> 22/30 HP