PP - F2 A Surprise in Waiting (Meokka) (Completed)

"Heh, you know I'd probably try to do the exact same thing, but if you want to make a race out of it sure I wouldn't mind at all. 15 does sound like a reasonable total to give her. Plus if we manage to find extra it'll be some that you can take."

ID: 16087

Loot Dice: 17 (Search and Detect +2) = 19

As he heard Meokka casually refer to him by name, although his helmet didn't betray any expression, a friendly smirk came across his face. As he moved more of the dirt to the side another glowing green gem came into view as he pulled it out of the ground, inspecting it quickly before adding it to his materials, "Well that makes two for me as well. We're definitely having better luck now."

Total:

Calrex: 2

Meokka: 2

Danger Level:

Calrex: 1/3

Meokka: 0/3

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Meokka

16212 LD 9

She looked around and pulled out a chipped piece. She tossed it behind herself and heard it clang against Calrex's armor. She pursed her lips and her eyes went wide for a moment. Did she really just hit him?! She relaxed her expression and slowly turned around. "I didn't find anything over here....I'll be more careful next time." She felt pretty bad. "I didn't ding your armor did I?" she really hoped she didn't damage the impressive armor, and she highly doubted she hit him for any damage.

?/15 (How many do we have already?)

ID: 16214

Loot Dice: 7 (Search and Detect +1) = 9

"Hm?"

As Calrex heard a clang on the Grand Chariot he looked around, hearing Meokka apologize for it, "Heh, don't worry about it. Oikawa made this armor pretty sturdy. If this can take the full impact of an Ice Elemental's attack, I'm pretty sure a small rock won't do anything to it."

As he pushed more of the rocks out of the way he didn't see anything come into view, "Well, there's nothing on my end either. We might need to go further in."

As he turned he made note of the moving lights once again as the parts connected to it took a more solid form, "Looks like we're also getting closer to some of the inhabitants of this cave, so be on guard. Hopefully we won't have to engage them, but we can't be too careful."

Total: 4/15 (Calrex 2 / Meokka 2)

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16216 LD 13

"An ice elemental? Where on earth did you find something like that? I wonder if it'd drop a neat ice like material. how hard was it to kill? What floor? Er..." She realized she got a little to excited over the war story and tried to calm down. Yet she found it difficult to do so. "Could you please tell me about it sir? I'd like to know, one day I wouldn't mind training against the foe." she explained. "I found a p-......Nevermind it has a blemish on it." she kept looking, if a flawed gem was found then it might mean an actual gem was near it. Hopefully. "Maybe I will ask this Oikawa-Sensei to teach me in his ways." 

Danger Level:

Calrex: 2/3

Meokka: 1/3

ID: 16217

Loot Dice: 3 (Search and Detect +2) = 5

"Well Ice Elementals spawn in the fields on the fourth floor, since that entire floor is themed for wintertime."

As Calrex searched around some more he wasn't able to find anything else in the area he had taken to investigate. "Hm...nothing over here either unfortunately."

As Meokka asked him to tell her the story Calrex gave a smirk, "Sure, maybe once we're done here we can go grab a congratulatory drink and I'll tell you about some of the monsters I've encountered. The Ice Elemental was actually a prerequisite for a quest, so there's more to that story than just the one battle. As for Oikawa he's a very friendly and helpful guy who runs the Grand Forge on the first floor. If you went and asked I'm sure he'd be happy to lend you a hand, and I could put in a message to him to give him advanced notice."

With that Calrex got to his feet, looking around, "Let's see if there's more further in."

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16218 LD4

She gave one more sweep of her area before giving up. She stood up and dusted off her Honey Bee Cloth Armor. She was even more curious now.

"I've never heard of a quest that had a prerequisite. May I at least ask what it was for?" He had her very curious now indeed. "I was thinking about taking the concentration quest. Where you stay under a waterfall and meditate. I use to do that a lot in the real world, but I heard a few rumors it had psychological ill effects on players that didn't pass the test. They said they recovered but it broke them in some way. Meditation can be a dangerous thing, but I hear it unlocks and grants an extra skill. Do you think the rumor might be true?" She asked as she fallowed him within the cave.

ID: 16219

Loot Dice: 8 (Search and Detect +2) = 10

"Well...I can't really say it was a prerequisite, but I ended up fighting one when I did the Avalanche quest. It's a field boss on the fourth floor that was like a oversized version of the regular Ice Elementals. I guess fighting that served as a lure for the actual boss I was aiming for."

As he kept looking around he wasn't able to find anything, but as he listened to Meokka mention the Concentration skill he nodded as he got to his feet, "You're probably referring to the Gemini quest. There's actually two possible skills you can get from that quest. I ended up gaining a different skill called Disguise, which allows you to temporarily gain an advantage over your opponent by taking on a different form for a short period of time. I would be careful, because that quest you end up fighting a duplicate of yourself. You should be strong enough to handle it from what I can tell. Teayre's taken it herself, but she gained the skill you were referring to."

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16221 LD2

She thought about that and then stopped. "Hold on a second please. I wrote it down. I think I got the name of the skill wrong." She went through her game notes. Then went under where she wrote about rumors. "I did get it wrong. The skill was called meditation. It's for a quest called calming the soul. I'll send you the details." She pressed a few things in the air and sent him the information that the beta testers left for players to use. <<Calming the soul>>  . A field boss. You had a party for it right? You didn't solo something like that willingly I hope. Is it a respawing monster?" she walked with him. "What did it drop?" she was really curious. She then remembered what they were there for and did a quick scan and found absolutely nothing. 

Danger Level:

ID: 16223

Loot Dice: 13 (Search and Detect +2) = 15

"Oh Calming the Soul? I've actually taken that quest on my own as well. Meditation is a useful skill, although I haven't decided to actually start practicing it just yet. It does seem useful nonetheless. As for the Avalanche quest...well...it actually is a repeatable quest. The first time I took the quest it was on my own, but the second time I helped Teayre complete it. As for the drop itself the item Avalanche leaves is called Snowfrost, which actually provides resistance to a light amount of fire damage."

As he pushed some more gravel aside he saw a slight glow as he dug away some of the dirt, revealing an intact gem, "Awesome, I found another one."

Total: 5/15 (Calrex 3 / Meokka 2)

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16224 LD1 (Oh man)

"I'm not a tailor but that sounds like something I wouldn't mind keeping in stock at my crafting shop when I become a blacksmith." she walked with him and looked around, This place seemed even worse for finding anything for her. She didn't see a sliver of green anywhere. She placed her hands over her eyes then moved them away after a bit. Maybe she had to get use to the darkness? She looked around and noticed that Calrex get yet another piece. He was now ahead of her. She looked around frantically to try to catch up!.

"Maybe you should take that quest a few times. I think The Queen is a tailor. She might appreciate it. I'd even go with you when you think I'm ready to take on a quest like that." She was a bit excited for it already.

Total: 5/15 (Calrex 3 / Meokka 2)

Danger Level:

ID: 16225

Loot Dice: 17 (Search and Detect +2) = 19

"Well, actually Snowfrost is a useable item. You actually can't apply it as a permanent effect to clothing or something to that effect. I wouldn't be surprised if Ariel has taken the quest already, but if you ever need a hand I'd be happy to help."

As Calrex continued searching in the area where he had found the gem earlier he found another piece of almost the same size. "I guess there might be a cluster of materials in this area."

"Hey Meokka I found another one over here. The creators might be simulating a deposit, so if you look around here you might have some better luck."

As he heard her enthusiasm from the possibility of taking the quest he smirked, making note of her excitement.

"She seems to be fairly honest with her emotions. That's a good trait to have. What was it you said back then Xanatos? Honest Hearts right?"

Total: 6/15 (Calrex 4 / Meokka 2)

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16226 LD15

"Hm, I'll give it a shot sir." She knelt down a little ways away from him and searched. She found nothing and kept digging.

Seeing this was pointless, Meokka stood up and put her feet apart. "I need to catch up." she bent down and started to dig tossing the dirt behind herself rapidly. There in the soil she saw something shimmer. "You were right Calrex." She held up the gem. "That's another one for the books. I'm not caught up just yet though. I'll get there though so you best watch out." she challenged even being behind.

She thought about the drop he mentioned.

"I see, so it's a use once type of item. Maybe if we procure enough for the guild, should we ever have need of an army wave, this might better prepare us." She thought it'd be good to have on tap. "I wonder if bosses would be immune to that sort of thing." She wasn't sure. "Hm? May I inquire what you were thinking about just now. You seemed to have a look on your face that was a good memory." She wouldn't mind hearing about good memories.

Total: 7/15 (Calrex 4 / Meokka 3)

Danger Level:

ID: 16227

Loot Dice: 2 (Search and Detect +2) = 4

As Calrex kept digging he looked over to see his guildmate digging like crazy before finding another gem. He smiled underneath his helmet as he nodded in approval, "I just hope Teayre likes them in the end."

As he came up with nothing he scanned around to see if there was another possible untouched area, "Looks like we've picked this area clean. We'd best move further in for now."

As he listened to Meokka's ideas for amassing lots of the Snowfrost drop for the guild he gave a small laugh in response, "That would definitely be a great idea. Unfortunately I think the most it gives is a +1 resistance to fire damage, and I'm guessing unless we're planning on frequenting the ninth floor we won't have much need for them. It is a good idea nonetheless. As for bosses though I've heard that some have the ability to bypass even the strongest defenses on a critical hit. Up against attacks like that even my Grand Chariot armor wouldn't prove enough to absorb their strongest hits."

As he heard her comment as the appearance on his face his eyes widened for a second, "Wait a minute how did she see through my helmet? Actually I've had that happen a few times. Does it betray more of my facial features than I thought?"

"Yeah it's no problem. It was a good memory in the wake of a more sad one. One of my good friends Xanatos and I had talked about the current state of things between the player in SAO some time back. There's one particular PKe...player, Mari, had apparently caused a commotion that he bore witness too. I was there to see the aftereffects on some of the players close to her. We talked about that...and came to the resolution that we would do what we could to make Aincrad a better place for everyone, no matter what affiliation we ended up falling under."

As they passed through the separating part of the chamber Calrex cleared before continuing, "Back then he was a part of the guild named Square One and I was getting set to become a member of the Azure Brigade. I guess in a way it was a promise we made to ourselves, to not lose sight of the main goal all of this is for, and to not lose ourselves in the madness."

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16228 LD9

She was to engrossed in the conversation, that she seemed to overlook the gems for the moment. She looked to her. This was the first time she knew someone who knew of a PKer. All the other times it was second hand and rumors. How could a person become a PKer? Did they truly believe people didn't die? That they'd just wake up if a person actually died? Her eyes narrowed a bit at the idea. Even if they believed such a thing, they had no right to implement player killing. It was murder, or had at very least the possibility of it.

"A person like that is a wolf among sheep. I could never tolerate such a person. I'd be the australian sheperd that would heard the sheep away and then run back to take down the wolf that doesn't belong, or at least try to change it's mind. I refuse to ever let this game change me in such a drastic way. This Xanatos person seems to have it together. I agree with how you both think one hundred percent." She wondered why this person wasn't in their guild now. Yet after he heard about the sad part she feared to ask. So she didn't. "Um....I should be looking harder. Sorry about that." She just followed him aimlessly. "Back to the bosses....That sounds awful. We'll have to be careful should we ever have to face one. 

She tried to think of something else to chat about. 

Danger Level:

ID: 16229

Loot Dice: 9 (Search and Detect +2) = 11

As Meokka shared with him her idea of player killers Calrex gave a nod, but he part of him did feel that the girl seemed to have a cut and dry idea of how SAO was, like all of the players were good and the player killers were bad. He gave a small sigh to himself, "Bosses are for the most part just like any enemy, just a little tougher. From what bosses I have fought they have all exhibited the same pattern. The only one I've engaged that was the closest to ending my life was a golem during the Breaking the Unbreakable quest. That one...things got a bit hairy."

As he tried searching around he was unable to find any useable gems in the immediate area as he dusted off his hands, "Meokka, just a help tip, I'm glad that you don't hold PKers in a good light, but be careful about quickly judging them. I've met more than one player killer during my time so far here in SAO, and not all of them are cut from the same cloth. Just like in the real world people kill for different reasons, some not as malicious as one would think."

He looked over as he pointed to the crystal above his head, which was green, "All normal players bear a green crystal over their head, but once they kill a single player their crystal turns to orange, and as long as they don't take the Redemption quest it will stay orange. Should they do so and successfully complete it their crystal will return to green. However, should they kill again their crystal will turn red, at which point nothing can be done to change their crystal back to green."

With that he lowered his hand, relaxing his stance, "I guess what I'm trying to say longwindedly is to be careful about how you view players in this, because it can be difficult to look past the color of their crystal. Some people kill for pleasure or sport, but some of the PKers I know have also killed to protect the ones they care about. It's not exactly the ideal, but honestly if Teayre were at risk I wouldn't be surprised if I would be willing to sacrifice my crystal's color to keep her safe."

Danger Level: 

Guest Meokka

16230 LD12

She thought that was interesting. "I always wondered if the A.I. would start to learn and change up how their original programming worked. It's good to know that they stay on a pattern. I'm happy to hear that you made it back savely. I got hurt pretty bad in a quest myself. On my way to the third floor to meet an armorsmith I encountered two bats that got me down really low in HP. I focused on killing one, if I hadn't I wouldn't be here myself. I think that's why I like parties more. So you shouldn't go soloing either okay sir." She said in an authoritative way. 

She felt a bit bad for scolding but she didn't want the man to die. It was just how she was. She then listened about PKers again.

"You would not be a PKer in my eyes Calrex. You'd be a PKKer, and that is acceptable. You'd fight to protect someone you love, not to kill irrationally. Those that have lost their minds and kill for pleasure, or because they believe in some cult's teachings need a wake up call. If put in a corner, then yes, being a PKKer is all right. I believe if anyone goes after anyone in the guild. Whom I've dubbed family in my mind, mob or player alike, I will retaliate and do anything to protect them. I'll find the idea of players fighting players stupid and unnecessary, but if push comes to shove, I'll shove back and pin them. Just as our guild name states. If I must I'd kill too. I won't like it, but I'd do it without question." she admitted.

She aspired to protect everyone she cared about. That was the point of joining the guild. True she joined because of Teayre and Azazel. Now she's met Calrex and holds him in the same regard. She wishes to get stronger so that one day she can fight along side all of them as an equal. "I want to get stronger so everyone will know I can be counted on too." she admitted. 

She looked around for more gems and seemed to be too distracted by the top to really notice anything.

Danger Level: 

ID: 16231

Loot Dice: 16 (Search and Detect +2) = 18

As Meokka clarified her stance on player killing Calrex felt a smile come across his face, although it was hidden by his full-face helmet, "I'm glad you see things that way. Just be careful, no matter what philosophy and ethics we discuss about player killing, the main thing we need to keep in mind is the penalty that comes with killing a player. While your crystal is orange or red you are actually unable to enter any of the main settlements, meaning that you would be at risk at all times of the day to monster and possibility other PKers. But, we'll cross that bridge when the time comes."

As Meokka mentioned her desire to get stronger so that she could be counted on Calrex gave an agreeing nod as he responded, "I wouldn't worry too badly about that. At least for me its not about being strong that would let me count on a person. Counting is synonymous with trust, and I would be more willing to trust a weaker player that works well in a team than a stronger player that's more of a lone wolf. So go ahead and work on getting stronger, but just be sure to not lose yourself in the process..."

As he spoke he remembered when he and Teayre had first agreed to join the Azure Brigade, when she said that if he lost himself in pursuit of strength to protect her, she would kill him. It wasn't exactly reassuring but was a fond memory, and something he felt he should pass onto his teammate a blush creeping onto his cheeks as he thought of his fiancee, "...Teayre taught me that some time ago, that if you lose yourself in pursuit of something that in the end it doesn't do you any good."

As he dug around again he pulled out another crystal with a smile, "Alright that's another one down."

Total: 8/15 (Calrex 5 / Meokka 3)

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16232 LD9

Meokka listened. "Like I said before. This game will never change me. I won't allow it to. I promise." she tried to reassure him. "From the sounds of it. You and I are a lot alike. Let that be your confirmation then." She let it end with that. After a moment she saw him bend down to look at something. Then saw the item in his hand. "You're pretty good at this. That search and detect  skill really pays off I see. Thanks for showing off these sorts of skills, it really helps me learn things." she was also pleased to hear him say the second part. "You'd make an excellent leader Calrex. I think I can call you by your name now." It wasn't that she no longer felt inferior to him, but she did feel more like an equal. Not in terms of strength but in terms of views. He didn't have to build her up on some pedestal nor did he lower himself to her level. She could feel that this man worked on an emotional level and mental level not one that revolved around numbers. It was a trait she admired. "It means, this game hasn't changed you either. I really respect that." She beamed a bit. "You're getting really ahead of me now." She stuck her tongue out at him. She felt stupid for doing so but figured she might as well show him the lighter side of herself that wasn't so uptight. Even if it was harder when she knew she was doing it. She looked around some more in hopes of finding some green gems. Sadly to no avail. She sighed in dismay, but she wouldn't give up!

Danger Level:

ID: 16233

Loot Dice: 2 (Search and Detect +2) = 4

"Heh, well I'm glad you're finding the skills I use important. From what I've seen a lot of the more powerful players have decided to specialize specifically in combat, focusing on how to hit hard often, dodge more attacks, and take more hits. When I noticed that I figured it would be more beneficial to spread out my skillset so that it could be applicable to many things."

As Meokka siad that he would make an excellent leader Calrex felt a smile creep up across his face, "Heh, I appreciate the comment Meokka, but I wouldn't think I have all the qualities to be a good leader. Sure I try to keep good values and the like, but the main thing a leader needs to have is the ability to rally people around them while at the same time keeping them in line. I don't have that trait at the moment, but I hope that everyone in the guild believes in Ariel enough to think that she is. As for me, as long as I can keep the people close to me safe, I'm fine with that."

As Meokka commented that the game had not changed him he gave a nod, "I'm trying my best to, and I really hope that I can keep doing so. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to do so, but at the least I think I can believe that Teayre, you, and the others I've become close to will be there to bring me back should I lose myself."

As Calrex continued digging he unfortunately wasn't able to find any more materials in the spot he was digging as he got to his feet, "Hm...nothing over here so far..."

As he realized that Meokka had started to speak to him in a more informal tone he gave an approving nod to himself, "She seems more comfortable now. That's good to know. I wouldn't want her to be tense whenever she's around her fellow guildmates."

Danger Level:

Guest Meokka

16234 LD 7

"Hm, I guess we can agree to disagree on that Calrex. You've only strengthened my resolve." She nodded to him pleased. She gave him a salute to boost his moral, at least that was her intention. Shen then went back to looking. "I'm not finding anything in this spot. How are you doing over there?" she looked over at him curiously. "Hm, spreading your skills out. I think it's a great idea. I know I wanted to be focused on combat, but you're right. If I want to be useful to anyone, I have to be more open to other skills. I want to be helpful, not just in combat but like this as well. Thank you Calrex, without you this would have taken me forever, and Teayre might not haven gotten such a nice gift as this. I know I haven't been friends with her for very long, and not that my approval means anything or counts but you certainly have it. I hope you two have a happy life together." She quickly bowed to him.

Danger Level: