[PP | F01] <<The Second Lesson, Is Also Free>>

Just like before the large wooden oak doors stood in front of her; their presence foreboding and ominous. It was the only object that kept Asmura from walking into the threshold of the shop; however, fear kept the small feet planted on the dusty ground. Despite having met the Blacksmith, now known as Lyle Tealeaf, the day before it was no easier entering his shop than it was the first time. In the streets passerby's whisked to-and-fro by never paid the young player any mind. Stepping away from the door a long breath was let out to still a rapidly beating heart. "Come on," Asmura murmured, attempting to soothe herself, "You can do this." Despite the effort to bring up what confidence lye deep beneath the conscience it proved to be futile. Fear still gripped her like a mouse caught in a trap. Slowly backing away from the door Asmura decided to try again later. 

Finding a nearby bench to sit on the raven-haired girl allowed her thoughts to wander. If one of her friends had been there would she have been able to enter the building? Without much effort her thoughts went back to Vie--the vibrant red-head who had gone on her first adventure with her. Back then she had felt so confidence, so sure of herself, but now alone all she felt was small. It bothered Asmura that her confidence waivered when she was alone. When she closed her wide kyanite orbs and pictured her friends there that strength built up. Maybe she just needed to picture them with her? Maybe that was the solution.

Or better yet, what if one of them was here?

Feeling the excitement at seeing someone rise she quickly pulled up the menu and started the search. Her list of friends was small, so it did not require that much thought. After all, he had said they would adventure again... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

Asmura: HP: 200/200  | EN: 20/20 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4

Edited by Asmura

Freyd was sitting comfortably on a stack of crates by the main gates to the Town of Beginnings.  The crates never moved.  They had always been here and would seemingly always remained so.  Which was convenient, really, as they made the perfect seat from which to sip at his morning coffee and have yet another lovely morning chat with Marv.  Marv, on the other hand, was one of the otherwise indistinguishable guards who stood stoically by the front gate.  Tall, handsome, marvelous Marv had never moved from that spot.  He'd never blinked, never said a word, and other than complete his regular pre-programmed yawn every sixty seconds or so, Marv had never actually meaningfully contributed to their one-sided conversation.  Freyd though Marv was a wonderful listener.  He could bear his soul to the man and know that not a word would ever be repeated.  And so it was that he was chatting away about his latest dragon-hunting exploits with Ruler, Haine, Elora and Katoka, each separate except for the last pair.  He'd told Marv about handing over Forgiven Disobedience - the very same sort that had fallen to his feet in this very spot, learning cleaving off one side of his year.  It was a wonderful weapon for any tier one player, and it brought great satisfaction that it would continue to be of help, now that he had outgrown it.

Marv was just completing his sixtieth yawn when Freyd received Asmura's request.  "Tealeaf's place, eh?  Stupid name for a blacksmith."  He finished the last sip of his coffee and patted Marv on the shoulder.  "Until next time, old friend.  Duty calls."

It didn't take long to wander around the right corner and find Asmura huddle up on her bench glaring at the door to the smithy across the way.  "Come on, kid!"  He cried out, a wry grin spreading across his shadowed features.  "I'll show you how the latch works."

Vanity Tag: @Ruler @Haine @Elora @Katoka

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1230/1230 | EN:135/135 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | BH:61

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 60
HP: 1230/1230
EN: 135/135

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:61
KEEN:1
HLY:6
FLN:6

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb [T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1]
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 3]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*2
Concentrated Joy (T3 Vitality 2)*1
Missing You (Instant T3 HP Recovery)*2
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
T3 Blank Dungeon Maps*5
Viperion (T3 Toxic Venom)*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"Come on, kid!"  He cried out, a wry grin spreading across his shadowed features.  "I'll show you how the latch works."

Asmura—who was sitting on the bench glaring at the door—perked up at the sound of the familiar voice. Like a lazar locking onto a target her head whipped around the find the one and only Freyd. Just like the last interaction he was clad in black armor and cowl. If one didn’t know him, he would appear mysterious and intimidating. Heck, even Asmura thought of him like that before knowing him; however, after their last quest together the girl was all too aware that there was a softer side. Growing up as an only child it was difficult to imagine what having an older brother would be like but if she had to guess it kind of felt like this.

“I know how to work a latch,” Asmura commented, pursing her mouth and feeling heat rise to her ears and face, “I was just waiting for you.” As if to show Freyd that she really could unlatch a door the young girl stood and paced over. It was there where anxiety started to twist its sticky tendrils around her small frame and caused a moment of hesitation. Within the mind’s eye Asmura pictured Freyd next to her and a feeling of clam quelled the growing anxiety.  Freyd wasn’t the only one there. Images of Kiluia, Haine, and Vie all emerged. Her friends.

“You ready?” Asmura inquired before opening the door and letting them both in.

"TEALEAF!  You old scallywag!"  Freyd called from behind his diminutive companion.  His voice boomed in the tiny shop - enough to actually stop the rhythmic clanging of the smith's hammer on the anvil and the steady pulsing of the bellows by his apprentice.  Both turned and glared at the source of the unwelcome interruption.  "This young woman had an important macguffin for you, sent by that bubbly tosser, Zackariah."

Lyle opened his mouth to speak, but the Whisper in Shadows simply kept on yapping.

"You need Boar Tusks, you say?  How is it that you're out of the bloody things AGAIN!?  What do you do?  Feed them to your apprentice, perhaps?"  The rotund, short-haired body manning the bellows looked completely frazzled.  He wasn't accustomed to being anything more than window dressing in this scene, and didn't quite know how to react.

Tealeaf raised his right hand, showing only three fingers, "I need thr-"

"FINE! Fine!  We'll get you three of the damned things.  I just hope for our sake that the fearsome Bacon Bits isn't still out there holding a grudge after our last encounter."    Freyd raised his black-clad fist against the sky, as if recalling some distant epic battle.  Tealeaf and his apprentice were back to staring at each other, wondering who this madman might be.  Freyd dialed back the drama a bit, bending down to whisper into Asmura's ear.

"I find it more interesting to skip through a lot of the pointless dialogue, don't you?"  Giving Asmura a familiar wink, he pivoted on his left heel, wheeled and sauntered out the door as if nothing odd had happened.

A pop-up bubble appeared next to Asmura, with a muted 'ping', asking whether she wanted to accept the quest.

Together the unusual pair barged into through the door like a hurricane. Well, really the there was one individual in the duo who was acting as if he had just entered a sitcom, and that was none other than the altitudinous male. As soon as Freyd started to engage with Lyle and his smaller companion all the flabbergasted girl could do was observed in silent astonishment. When the shock of the situation wore off a she remained slight, the thin of a grin playing on her face as giggle threaten to break free. It was an odd scene to say the least. Freyd, on the other hand, appeared just a comfortable and casual with the interaction. Almost like it was one that was done every day. As far as Asmura knew, maybe it was. After all, the first time the pair had met Freyd was casually having a conversation with another NPC.

As Freyd wrapped up the conversation he pivoted and preformed his classic wink. Then he was gone. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed that a box a popped up. Attention drawn she quickly moved to stare at the box. “Do you accept the Blacksmith’s Quest with Freyd – The Whisper in the Shadows?” There was no hesitation as a small finger pressed the accept button. Not wanting to lose the older male, or slow him down, a small wave was gestured toward the blacksmith and then the girl was gone.

Luckily, The Whisper in the Shadow had not gone far. Asmura quickly caught up with a smile decorating her features. “Thanks for joining me on this quest,” Asmura stated, eyes drawn upward as an appreciative gaze locked on Freyd, “How many times have you done this quest though?” It was probably too many count but the curiosity burned bright in the wide stormy eyes. 

"Hey, no worries ki... Asmura.  I really shouldn't be calling you kid, should I?  You probably get it from everyone, and I can imagine that it gets tiring."  He offered her a small sympathetic smile.  "You're going to be forced to grow up in this world, Asmura, whether you want to or not.  It sucks, but it's the hand you have and the only one you can play."

They were coming up on the boar fields.  Freyd could already see Bacon Bits circling that lone oak tree up on the rise, where the two of them had done epic battle, back when he was level 3 or something.  He'd returned to the Town of Beginnings beaten, battered and covered in mud from head to toe, but couldn't have been more proud.

"As to how many times I've done this particular quest.... ho boy... umm... "  Freyd's brow furrowed deeply as if his mind was slipping into some sort of quantum analysis mode.  Fingers on both hands were counted several times and he even looked at his boot contemplatively at one point.  "Carry... the five.. and ummm... yeah."  His smile widened into an all-out grin at the size of Asmura's increasingly wide eyes as he played up his little charade.  "This time included makes... three."

The seriousness of the first statement was quickly lifted by the joking tone of the second one. Despite that, the first statement stuck like gun to a shoe. Freyd was right. As much as she tried to keep the thought distant it was true. This would be the world that soon become home—whether she agreed to it or not. The people she met here would become friends, and some even family. For a few moments quiet fell over her being before it dawned on her that she had been quiet for too long.

By the time she had tuned back into the situation Freyd was onto the next question. Doe-eye Asmura observed as Freyd did the mental math needed to calculate the amount of time had done this quest. When three exited past his lips with a grin a laugh bubbled up and exploded like a pot boiling over. His antic was so interesting.  

“Only three?” The raven-haired girl managed to make out between giggles, “I thought you were going to say a thousand from the way you were counting!” It was then that it dawned on her that they had made it to their destination—the boar field. Wild, large boars decorated the field. Their tusks were imposing and came to a point that appeared sharp enough to pierce. Memories of her last adventure with Freyd. The same mistakes would not be made again. Near the strange duo was a herd of three smaller boar. It was time to start the quest. "We're should start over there..." Asmura relayed, pointing toward the herd and drawing the curved sword. The duo made their way to the small herd and Asmura launched into an attack. The curved sword was brought down in wide arch; slashing the boar pup across the middle of it's body.  It was like cutting butter. Blue pixels started to rise from the cut as the boar pup's body proceed to deteriorate further into crystals. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

[x2] Rage Blow (2 Energy) - The user makes one heavy blow, cleaving into the opponents chest.

169897 10 4 4 7 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Rage blow vs. Boar Pup#1 2020-10-02 13:47:06

BD: 10+3=13 (HIT) |  Boar Pup#1: 4x2=8 DMG

171844 6 9 8 3 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Collect Quest Materials 2020-10-10 14:14:01

LD: 8 (FAIL)

Players

Asmura: HP: 199/200 (-1) | EN: 18/20 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4

Freyd- The Whisper in the Shadows: HP:1230/1230 | EN:135/135 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | BH:61

Monsters

Boar Pup#1: HP: 5 | DMG: 3 

Boar Pup#2: HP: 5 | DMG: 3

Boar Pup#3: HP: 5 | DMG: 3

**Boars drop Tusks on LD 11+.

Edited by Asmura

Freyd stood back, his hands behind his back, watching the combat unfold like some sort of military training officer watching a drill take place.  

"Well done.  But, can you tell me why you thought it best to attack three mobs at once?"  Looking about, Asmura quickly realized thet the rest of the mobs had yellow icons, not red.  They wouldn't automatically attack her, unless she did what she just did.  Freyd was politely telling her that she's just repeated the very same mistake as with the wargs, but in a slightly different way.

"You need three boar pup tusks, but you don't need to defeat them all at the same time."  He paced to one side, watching her stance.  "Your tactic would have been a good one, if you had used an AoE sword art.  I believe that Farrant Full Moon is a rank 2 art from the one-handed curved sword, but you're probably eager to get your hands on a katana, no?  Not a bad choice.  In the meantime, your effectiveness against groups will be limited.  So will your damage potential, as you'll be denying yourself higher level sword arts."

He watched her weave and dodge against the two remaining boar pups.  They were no threat to her, but it was still good practice.  One of them gored her in the arm, but the protective enhancements in her armor prevented nearly all of the damage.  The last remaining pup mistook a nearby tree for her and rammed into that instead.

Spoiler

Asmura | HP: 199/200 (-1) | EN: 18/20 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4
Freyd- The Whisper in the Shadows: HP:1230/1230 | EN:135/135 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | BH:61

Freyd takes no action.

ID 169912 | MD: 9 (crit +1).  Boar Pup #2 deals (4 - 18 = 1) damage to Asmura
ID 169913 | MD: 1 (miss).  Boar Pup #3 misses Asmura

Monsters: 
Boar Pup#1: HP: 5 | DMG: 3 
[H:0,0] Boar Pup#2: HP: 5 | DMG: 3
[H:0,0] Boar Pup#3: HP: 5 | DMG: 3

A visible frown embellished the child-like features as the information provided was processed. The frown quickly turned into a sheepish grin as Freyd provided feedback on the scenario. Cheery red was also quickly coloring her cheeks as embarrassment flared up. Prior to playing SAO the Asmura had never played online games. Who knew that there was so much to learn? Pivoting left Asmura dodged out of the way as a boar pup charged; only to step into the path of another one. Not quick enough to block with the sword the tusks of the beast rammed into the small frame and slide it back a couple of feet. There was no fear in that moment; just pure adrenaline cursing through wiry veins. Giving a slight push the sword slashed downward in another arch. The sword cut though the body of the beast with ease; like sliding a hot knife through butter. With a small 'pop' the body of the pup dispersed into the same blue pixels as before. 

"I thought we had to take them on all at the same time," Asmura murmured, eyeing the last boar pup with weariness, "Of course, now that I think about, we were never told how to fight them..." There was another slight paused as brief eye contact was made with The Whisper in the Shadows before going back to the boar pup. "As for a Katana, that would be nice but I'll be honest; I don't really know what I what weapon wise. The curved sword reminded me of the pirates my dad uses to tell me stories of and that is why I picked it."  Talking about her family outside the game was always hard; however, when talking about it during fighting the young girl found it easy to put the feelings away into a little box with a bow until she was ready to face them without risk. "Did you play a lot of games like this prior to this one?" 

Spoiler
170788 6 7 11 1 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Rage Blow vs. Boar pup #2 2020-10-06 12:53:18

BD: 6+3=9 (HIT) | Boar Pup#2: 4x2=8 DMG

170795 4 9 9 4 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Quest Material Collection 2020-10-06 13:14:53

LD: 9 (FAIL)

Asmura | HP: 199/200  | EN: 16/20 (-2) | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4
Freyd- The Whisper in the Shadows: HP:1230/1230 | EN:135/135 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | BH:6

Monsters: 
Boar Pup#1: HP: 5 | DMG: 3 
[H:0,0] Boar Pup#2: HP: 5 | DMG: 3
[H:0,0] Boar Pup#3: HP: 5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Asmura

"Did you play a lot of games like this prior to this one?" 

Freyd smirked as she manipulated the conversation to a more personal topic.  It was likely innocent, but he admired innate curiosity combined with a talent for subtle enquiry.  It hadn't occurred to him until now, but Asmura might actually be well-suited to working in O&I.  He'd have to accidentally leave her in a room with Shiina, Kasumi and Setsuna, at some point, and see how she fared.

"Yes, actually.  I used to do a lot of product testing and blogging for developers.  It's how I ended up in here.  People hired me to test Kayaba's product and provide them with feedback."  He chuckled softly, then grunted.  "Agreeing might have been both the best and worst choices in my life."  He'd given her the nugget, curious himself to see what she would do with it.

"What's your preference?  Would you prefer to be more effective against a single target or multiple?  You have a warrior's heart, Asmura.  My gut tells me that you'd be better suited to offense than defense.  It all depends on what you want for yourself."

Freyd suddenly sidestepped, and one of the boar pups can charging from behind him.  Unable to change course at the last second, the little mob crashed head first into a nearby boulders, wobbling about as stars danced around its head.

Spoiler

Asmura | HP: 199/200  | EN: 18/20 (-2) | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4
Freyd- The Whisper in the Shadows: HP:1230/1230 | EN:135/135 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | BH:6

Freyd takes no action.

ID 170804 | MD: 4 - 2 = 2 (miss).  Boar Pup #3 misses Freyd.

Monsters: 

As the last pup of the pack rushed back Freyd and into the nearby boulder there was a twinge of sympathy for the creature. Here the boar pups where minding their own business before players like herself came to kill them. It was a thought didn’t linger long as the boar pup shook its floppy ears and then turned a ruby gaze toward her. Hoof scuffing the ground the pup prepared another charge attack; however, Asmura beat the pup to the punch. Swiftly moving forward, the curved sword glowed ominously before being brought across the chest of the pup. Just like the others in its packs its body turned to blue pixels and then floated away. In its way lay a tusk. Thanks for this, Asmura thought while placing the tusk in her inventory.

That left the other question too. What did she want? For a moment she lingered over the spot where the boar pup tusk was. Images of Freyd, Kiluia, Haine, and the other members of the guild popped into the mind’s eye. The urge to be able to stand equally with them was strong—despite the age gap. “What do I want…” Asmura paused, attempting to figure out to put the feeling into words, “I wanted to stand with the guild and be an equal. I want to be able to defend my friends without them being put into danger or be able to stand in the way if they’re in danger. Kinda like you did for me on our last adventure. That’s what I want.” 

Now that the words had been spoken Asmura placed the sword back in the holster and then pivoted toward the taller male. For just a second, an inquisitive gaze locked onto the tall male as the answer to her previous question processed. “The best and worst?” Asmura mimicked the phrase softly under her breath. Something about the phrasing caught her attention and more curiosity started to bloom. “What does that mean exactly?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

[x2] Rage Blow (2 Energy) - The user makes one heavy blow, cleaving into the opponents chest.

171100 5 5 2 4 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Rage blow vs. Boar pup#3 2020-10-07 12:42:20

BD: 5+3=8 (HIT) | Boar Pup#3: 4x2=8 DMG

171101 7 2 11 4 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Quest Material Loot 2020-10-07 12:45:12

LD: 11 (SUCCESS)

Asmura | HP: 199/200  | EN: 14/20 (-2) | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4

Monsters: 

Edited by Asmura

Freyd smiled cryptically.  Was she ready for this sort of thing?  He was never one to shy away from testing limits.  Why not say and see?  The smile faded as his face took on a more neutral, unreadable expression.

"This world frees things that should best be kept locked away as well as those you never knew existed.  It forces you to face who you really are and who you want to be.  I have that to thank Akihiko Kayaba for that, at least.  You may be forced to grow up in this world, for better and for worse."  He looked down at Asmura for a moment, scrutinizing her features and mannerisms.  It was like being stripped down until your soul was laid bare, and revealed an underlying harshness in Freyd that she had never seen before, but it passed in an instant, replaced by an easing careworn gaze.  "How old are you, anyway?

"I'm eleven," Asmura stated, tilting her head slightly, "What about you?"

The scrutinizing stare had made hot blood run cold; however, in a flash it was gone. Like it had never happen but it did is Asmura knew it. It was then when the curious girl became keenly aware that there were sides to the older male that she was not privy too. Which made sense if one really thought about it. Humans were creatures that had depth and crevices. It almost appeared as if she had hit one of those crevices. Who did Freyd want to be? More importantly, who did she want to be? It was a question that could not be answer by anyone but herself; and it was not an easy one.

“And if this world does that, then is who are and who you want to be that different?” Asmura questioned in wonderment, “Because I feel like who I am is who I’ve always wanted to be. In the real world I couldn't even leave my own house because I was paralyzed by the fear of almost dying. Despite that, I wanted to be someone was brave, strong, and adventurous. In SAO I am that…” Asmura murmured, gaze dropping to stare at her hands. It was the first time she had ever told anyone that. Not even Kiluia knew. What had inspired that admission was beyond Asmura, but it had felt right in that moment.

"I was twenty-five when this all began.  That probably puts me near thirty, if our measure of time is correct."  Had it really been five years?  That would make Asmura sixteen, by the same logic.  What could it be like to grow into adulthood, forever looking like a child?  He listened intently as she revealed her true world nature.  A paralyzing fear of the world was not an impossible sensation for him to grasp.  Freyd had struggled with his own demons since he was about her age, and paid a difficult price in the ensuing struggles.  Her attitude was exemplary.

"I'm proud to know you, Asmura."  He said the words with completely and honest sincerity.  "There are few people in this world or the other who could grasp the importance of that choice, let alone have made it.  You're no child, in my books, if you can see that clearly through your choices."  He looked down at her, his brownish-red eyes appearing to gaze into her very soul.  "Would that there were more with your keen insights."

The open pastures lay before them: a rolling green landscape dotted with lonely trees and small boars grazing individually or in small groups.  "Let some of that warrior fury out.  Go kick some boar hide and collect some tusks.  Just remember that you need to collect them yourself.  I'd risk stealing your kills just by looking at these things."  And so, the Whisper in Shadows sat his dark figure firmly on a nearby boulder and summoned himself a fresh cup of coffee while he prepared to watch the show.

"Good luck."

The words “I’m proud to know you, Asmura” echoed around in her head. Freyd, someone she respected immensely, was proud to know her.  The phrase brought forth a warm sensation that flowed through her intertwining veins and stoked the already lit fire of determination. Asmura watched as the older male made himself comfortable and with narrowed eyebrows pivoted to face the a nearby foe. The desire to impress and grow as a fighter, player, and survivor burned bright.

“Hey Freyd,” Asmura uttered, still turned away from him, “I’m proud to know you too. Thanks for taking a chance on me.” Briefly, the raven-haired girl turned and gave him a thumbs up accompanied with a grin before taking out the curved sword and rushing toward the first monster. There, a small boar pup stood grazing. Asmura ran forward, curved sword raised as it prepared to strike unsuspecting pup. As the curved sword whipped through the air and across the chest of the pup it stumbled back. Just like the other before blue pixels started to disperse; fading as they got higher and higher into the air. Unfortunately, there was no loot left behind. Sighing in disappointment a concentrated gaze peered around looking for the next target. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

172403 6 6 1 8 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Rage Blow vs. Boar Pup#4 2020-10-13 12:01:31

BD: 6+3=9 (HIT) | Boar Pup#3: 4x2=8 DMG

172404 2 3 5 5 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Quest Material Collection 2020-10-13 12:02:31

LD: 5  

Asmura | HP: 199/200  | EN: 18/20 (-2) | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4

Monsters: 
[H:0,0] Boar Pup#4: HP: 5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Asmura

Grabbing a relatively straight branch laying on the ground near him, Freyd picked off a few remaining leaves then ambled over to one of the nearby boar pups with a mischievous grin on his face.  He gave it a quick bend to assess its suitability before looming over one of the tiny things like giant.  Straightening up to better observe the necessary decorum, he spread his legs apart in a wider and more stable stance.  Grasping the branch in hand, he paused only to inspect the top end and nod his approval at the minor curvature that would provide the necessarily lift.  Squatting slightly with a strange gait, he slowly lowered the stick, letting the bit he'd inspected hover just above the ground.  The active boars kept the grass relatively short, which was convenient.  The Whisper's cowl angle downward with focused intensity as the club came up silently behind him.

*THOK*

*SQUEEEE*

A very started and amazingly non-aerodynamic boar pup was suddenly launched into the air, headed directly for Asmura. Freyd, in the background was offering himself a very proud self-congratulatory nod, expecting that he would hit his intended mark.

As a determined and narrowed gaze rounded to the clearing to find another target the attention that was previously on her companion diverted. The boar pups were once again scattered around the clearing, dotting the land scape like splotches of paint on a canvas. Although the adventurer was not worried about the possibility of a risky situation, she still wanted to stay close to her companion. After all, they had participated on this quest together and together they shall stay. As thoughts about Freyd entered her mind the young girl turned to where the cowled male was last seen; however, he was no where to be found. A slight panic started to build up as a he seemed to have disappeared.

Then, there was a noise that Asmura had never heard before. Concerned more than anything her gaze was drawn up to find a boar pup coming right toward her. Well, this was the perfect opportunity. Widening her stance to provide an anchor Asmura swung the blade. Unfortunately, the calculations that she had made were off. As the sword slice through air—hitting nothing by particles—the boar pup sailed on. With a combination of squealing and screaming the pup and girl tumbled to the ground and rolled a couple feet through the grass. The sudden impact caused the sword to drop out of the young players hand and fall to the grass where it lay motionless. After what seemed like hours the duo stopped and there Asmura lay sprawled out like a starfish—eyes closed and dizzy. The boar pup righted itself and then ran away as fast as it little legs would carry it. One might even say that a trail of dust was left behind.

“Ugh,” Asmura moaned, attempting to recognize up from down and left from right, ”What just happened? Freyd?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

174089 2 10 15 9 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Rage Blow vs. Boar Pup 2020-10-21 08:48:48

BD: 2+4=6 (MISS) 

Freyd smile mischievously at the sight of young Asmura tumbling head over heels along with the previously airborne pup.  It was an unfortunate result, but not beyond the realm of possibility.  Combat at these early levels was brutally subjected to the whims of Cardinal's random number generator.

"Umm... the battlefield in an unpredictable place.  You need to get used to rolling with the punches... and probably should get back on your feet, 'cuz... "  Freyd pointed to the fields just beyond, where the dust trail curved and had turned back towards them.  Asmura spotted the boar at the last moment and whirling and pivoting to place her blade between herself in the incoming swine.  Sensing the danger, it swerved and tumbled but recovered quickly.  It's beady little red eyes raged and it readied itself for another engagement.

"Heads up, Asmura.  Looks like you've got another rival.  Show it what you can do."

Asmura | HP: 199/200  | EN: 16/20 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4

ID #174201 | MD: 2 - 1 = 0 (Miss)

[H:0,0] Boar Pup#5: HP: 5 | DMG: 3

Heading Freyd’s warning the raven-haired girl rolled over and stood. A couple feet away stood the rival. This was a scenario that had not been predicted. Defenseless the young adventure faced her foe; the piercing, glowing gaze baring down with murderous intent. If this were a scene in a movie this would be where the epic battle music chimed in to create dimension and atmosphere. The boar pup’s tiny hoof shredded the grass under it in preparation for attack. In a second Asmura’s gaze shifted from the pup to the sword and then back. That enemy had unknowingly taken advantage of the distraction as it reared on his hind legs before jerking forward.  

Asmura ran forward too.

Only, she ran toward the sword while the boar ran at her. Realizing that the boar would reach its mark before she did Asmura made a rash decision. Sliding, much like a baseball player slide into home base, the young player reached for the sword. Unscarred fingers  gripped at the hilt as the boar leap up and the sword swung toward its destination. As the sword swiped across the underbelly of the beast blue pixels poured out and started their ritualistic up float. Unfortunately, there was no loot from this beast either.

“Ugh,” Asmura sighed, body hunching downward in defeat at the lack of loot, “Where are all these quest materials? Any idea how to be more successful at gathering, Freyd?”

Spoiler

x2 Rage Blow

175379 6 11 14 4 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Rage Blow vs. Boar Pup 2020-10-26 12:19:34

BD: 6+3=9 (HIT)Boar Pup#3: 4x2=8 DMG

175392 4 3 1 2 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Quest Material Gathering 2020-10-26 13:01:08

LD: 1 (FAIL)

Asmura | HP: 199/200  | EN: 14/20 (-2 Rage Blow) | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 18 | DMG: 4

Edited by Asmura

"Heh... you're asking the worst possible person about gathering skills.  My only talent in this area seems to be in attracting fishing-related quest bosses, which is basically tantamount to a curse."  He glared at another approaching boar, which seemed to be getting a little too curious.  The best squealed and ran away in terror.  "My talents are of a more... strategic nature."  he pondered what he should and shouldn't reveal and landed on the side of trust.  Asmura was a good fighter and valuable ally to the guild.  She deserved that much.

"As the captain of Firm Anima's Operations and Intelligence division, or 'O&I' as we sometimes call it, I'm basically the guild's spymaster.  I collect, analyze and disseminate information for the guild's benefit.  In simpler terms: I'm the resident spoopy-man."  If you want advice on gathering, try talking to other guild members, especially those in the Provisional division."

Opening a UI window, Freyd seemed to be scrolling through some kind of catalog before smiling and selecting something.  

"Here," he said, offering her a pretzel larger than her head, "it will help a little."

Freyd gives Asmura:

Jackpot Pretzel - Consumable (Snack)- Loot Die 3
A gigantic super-salty pretzel.  Guaranteed a win if you can finish the whole thing.
Tierless - [170010]