Familiar System [Feedback]

Familiars.

Now it’s been long awaited as to when our precious little allies will be able to actually aid us in combat situations beyond the rather tiny enhancements they have right now. So here is my suggestion at a system for them…

Is my current Familiar eligible for combat?

No.

In order to have your familiar in combat situations you must submit an evaluation and provide 5 Topics where you have done 20 or more posts of acceptable interaction between you and your familiar.

How do I get my Familiar stronger?

So just like us our familiars have Level systems, but instead of working off of SP they will grow stronger from the threads you dedicate with them. This will begin what is called Bond.

What is Bond?

Bond is the relationship between you and your familiar. The more topics you complete with them, the stronger that relationship becomes and in turn the stronger that familiar is determined to become for it’s Player.

How do I earn Bond?

Simple. Complete 1 thread, 1-20 posts. Your Familiar will gain 1 Bond and you may allocate 1 Bond Point. Of course this is only if you meet the requirements.

• 1-20 posts with you and your Familiar interacting.

• Familiar has three or more lines of it’s own point of view per post.

• Have Fun ^w^

Bond

Level

Bonus

5Bp

-

-

-

5Bp

-

-

-

5Bp

-

-

-

5Bp

-

-

-

5Bp

-

-

Equip Slot

Bond Points

Now this may seem confusing so I’ll do my best to simplify it. Bond and Bond Points are two separate things, Bond allows you to level your familiar while Bond Points allow you to enhance Rank in Skills.

What are my Familiar’s base Stats?

Well the Familiar has a Base HP of half of it’s Player’s Health+Bond. So a Player with an HP of 50 and a Familiar that’s Level 5 would have 25+12=37 Health.

Simply put, The Familiar’s base damage is 1.

Familiar Class

Upon Evaluation of your familiar you must State what class it is, Each Class will be representative of the type of animal it is and what skill sets it will have. You may only choose one.

Skills. (To be added)

0 - Untrained
1 - Skillful
2 - Talented
3 - Dedicated

From Rank 0 -> 1 = 5
From Rank 1 -> 2 = 8
From Rank 2 -> 3 = 12

Predatory (Skill Set to be determined)

Scavenger (Skill Set to be determined)

Tranquil (Skill Set to be determined)

Combat with your Familiar

When doing combat with your Familiar you must roll a separate BD if it is attacking. Player’s must follow the normal BD rules as well, 1-5 being misses and 6-10 being a successful strike. But since a Familiar does not have any Sword Arts the Damage multiplier will rely on the Familiar’s BD Result.

1-Critical Failure. [Miss,Unable to attack next turn.]

2-5 Failure. [Miss.]

6-Success!. [Base Damage*1.]

7-Success!. [Base Damage*2.]

8-Success!. [Base Damage*3.]

9-Critical Success!. [Base Damage+1*4. Hate:+1]

10-Critical Success!. [Base Damage+2*4. Hate:+2]

Please keep in mind that you and your Familiar DO NOT share Hate, you must keep this logged in combat situations and follow normal Hate rules.

A familiar can receive debuffs, buffs, etc… anything that would affect a player can affect the familiar other than Items and equipment that are not specifically made for that familiar.

Equipment and Item use.

Your Familiar can now have enhancements from equipped items!, Unlike us they are only able to have 1 Equipment Slot. (Until reaching level 20.) Keep in mind this slot will be taking space from the player’s own inventory.

Items should be a fairly simple thing to understand, you simply order an item that is meant for your Familiar. (IE. A bone for a Canine.) From there just follow normal rules on how items are used.

Taki Note*: Please keep in mind that this system is far from complete but I would like feedback on it and would welcome skill suggestions as well.

Yaaaaaassss, I like it. ._. This makes me want to get a familiar now... cause I still haven't bothered.

Now on with Hydra's question, there was that canon flower that revives familiars. So we can probably revive it. If you get an entirely new familiar though, I think it should be completely reset. I don't see how the stats can carry over to another familiar like that. It doesn't make sense.

The problem I have with familiars (Though your system is certainly interesting) is that they're treated more like accessories that everyone has, and that's not their fit within the universe.

IMHO, the familiars should be a skill system, and that can be adapted to work with what you've outlined here.

why cant you and your familiar interact in every single thread your in? its not hard for most Tamers to do so. But there shouldn't have to be a thread that's just you and your familiar together as a way to level it. Instead bond should come gradually like with every thread you do where you actually use your familiars ability as a way of actually "training" it, That way its not forcing a bunch of boring SP's with you taking your dog for a walk and them having three lines of "wow I really enjoy walks" every post since three lines is like the minimum for posting by itself anyways.

Then to make it feel more like its about how the familiar feels and you cant exactly control how it feels, after every thread you do use your familiars ability the person in charge of the thread simply rolls the CD die and if its 1-2 its one bond point, 3-4 is two bond points, etc. Making the maximum 5 per thread if you're actually really lucky or you could still by chance end up getting one per thread if you're extremely unlucky.

And when level one hundred comes around and you get that equip slot. what is to be equipped? Am I allowed to give Maruchan a dagger to hold in his mouth so he can pull a D-dog move on some NPC's?

@Hydra Yes, your familiar's do not share Bond or Bond Points. As it is a relatively easy system to level with.

@Rain Like your enthusiasm. If this were to be approved I would most likely create that flower quest myself, when we reach that floor that is XD.

@Baldur This system is to bring out the potential in familiars, by not only giving the player's more incentive to use their familiar's as an RP tool to further their enjoyment out of a thread, but by giving them a level system and if staff gives me a thumbs up I will even give multiple skills in which a familiar can have. (Healing, bonus damage, stealth, maybe even unique Abilities if Staff allow it.). I am someone who actually has a familiar with no enhancement. The only reason why I have Vain is for Roleplaying. 

@XWuZHeAR Because it would make it super easy for someone to just throw a bone and have the familiar catch it, suddenly they bonded. Indeed that is correct that small things do strengthen relationships as well but remember how I stated it. "Bond is the relationship between you and your familiar. The more topics you complete with them, the stronger that relationship becomes and in turn the stronger that familiar is determined to become for it’s Player.

Also I can say multiple people have roleplayed with ONLY their familiars. Myself. @Hikoru , @Zandra , @Calrex , and @Oikawa all did a thread with only familiars. Just like your character, have them do things. If you can't think of how you can do this read some of @Ariel - The Crowned Lion's posts. As I've found her use of Kimba in her roleplays to be inspiring.

And Level 20, not 100 XD. when you reach that point you may have your familiar equipped with two pieces of equipment. For a dog I would Recommend a collar and maybe some sick armor :/. again your choice. but I doubt a dagger would work as it would require the familiar to be skilled in dagger XD

@Takneil My problem is more that -everyone- has one. You're actually at a mechanical disadvantage by not having one (I never took the quest, because I didn't want one with the concept, but mechanically it's becoming disadvantages to me to not have one on the frontline).

This, to me, is a problem, since people with familiars should be rare, and invested in them. Right now, they're merely treated as accessories, items that people mostly ignore and they're only had for their stat bonus.

If they actually required SP, and a had a function like what you've outlined below, then people would have to include their familiars in their posts, and invest in them at some sacrifice to the character, which I think is ideal in the case of mechanics and setting.

If you can clean it up some, it would be interesting. But I agree with Baldur's point. Familiars should be useful, but not needed. We don't need a new meta. (dagger master race)

And, it's a bit confusing for me. Does my familiar start at level 0, then 5 threads later it's level 1?

Also, to reach the max rank with your familiar you'd need to do 797 threads, with your familiar.

Otherwise, it's a great WIP and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

@Lowenthal Holy crap no X'D Bond would work like SP in the fact it's accumulated. so only 100 threads, which in my opinion seems like an appropriate amount of threads for maxing your relationship with your familiar X3. other than that I never meant for this to be NEEDED. I honestly believe a familiar should have a lot more depth to it's being as I don't want player's to just get a familiar and never use them. Because right now it honestly feels like a hassle to include familiars to a thread, just to get their bonus.

Familiars should be optional, while I agree they shouldn't be overpowered. They should also not be used to get 1 little enhancement. I am striving to meet that goal, hopefully with the help of Baldur. We can achieve that. 

btw it would start at level 0, unless you happened to have multiple threads with your familiar that meet requirements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel like, when you consider Silica's Beast Tamer specialization, there's a whole lot more you could do than just give them the ability to fight. I look at it like the Beast Mastery specialization from Warcraft- you have the ability to set aside your points to enhance your character, but you also have the ability to choose to allocate those points toward your familiar. There are players who prefer to fight from the back while their pet does most of the fighting- it lends to higher survivability and increased solo play options- but also gives us another type of character to consider.

It rounds out our archetypal group a bit, see.