Crafting Posts and Experience

Hello all!
Just a note with your crafting attempts in your stores;

Post Length
Staff have noticed a lot of single line posts with craft attempts; others with no attempt to RP anything at all. This notice is to remind you all that you MUST adhere to the minimum RP standard that is applied in the RP forum. The shop is essentially a part of the RP and staff will be from now on, not accepting crafts from posts that do not have the minimum requirement.

Experience:
[update] Experience is stacked and cumulative. If you reach level two by having 20 EXP, you start level 2 with 20/40 EXP. If you have any questions, ask a GM.

RANKS
With the profession update, its important to note what you CAN and CANNOT craft at your rank! Please double check the profession guide when crafting!

Happy Forging!
-Mari

Edited by Oske
Experience update

This is actually how it has always been. I have done my crafts in this fashion assuming it would be correct as it does take more and more work to get better at something. Being able to get partial experience and moving on just doesn't make sense. Think of it like an actual RPG. When you level up, you don't use the same experience anymore, you get a whole empty bar at the bottom or top of your screen and you have to fill it back up in order for your next level up.

Rank 3: 160 EXP (Crafts per day)
Rank 4: 640 EXP (8 Crafts per day)
Rank 5: 2560 EXP (10 Crafts per day)

We go from 160 XP to 640XP to 2560XP

And we reset to 0 each time?

I hope no one wants anything a Rank 4 or 5 Merchant wants, because even if I were to try and grind that out, it would take a ridiculous amount of time. And I have to RP out those posts every single time? Now granted, i do one post for ALL of my crafting, instead of taking advantage of the opportunity for  free 6-12 posts per day, but that's just silly.

This is actually how it has always been. I have done my crafts in this fashion assuming it would be correct as it does take more and more work to get better at something. Being able to get partial experience and moving on just doesn't make sense. Think of it like an actual RPG. When you level up, you don't use the same experience anymore, you get a whole empty bar at the bottom or top of your screen and you have to fill it back up in order for your next level up.

Actually, in the old topic that I think doesn't exist anymore, it said " X amount of TOTAL exp for rank Y" Total being there I and most players that I know of, assumed that you kept the experience when ranking up. And if we take your example of games, this could be interpreted as "0/160 to get rank 6" from "320 total exp to get rank 6 (you need 160 to get 5 if I'm correct)". And even Mari up there sort of contradicts herself by writing "Total" experience and "Resetting" as it makes next to no sense to me to have those two words put together up there.

To develop my earlier argument, say you're playing a game, and in said game, you need 1 EXP to level up at all levels, so to get level 10, you'd need 9EXP in TOTAL, but you'll only need 1 EXP from level 9 to 10.

Wait, wait wait. So you're saying to get to Rank 10, Ultimately we need 10,220 EXP points? It was my (and I assume) everyone elses assumption that the points were cumulative; as in, once you hit rank 2, you only need 20 more points, then 40, then 80... to keep leveling up. AND we need to write a post for each craft? If that's the case, I don't think i'm going to be trying to level as much anymore, as that is borderline unobtainable. 

The way it's shown is misleading then. It needs to state the reset. Do we all need to go back and recalculate our EXP to find out our 'true' levels? If we need to, then i'm going to do every craft individully as a cheeky way to get extra posts in if I need to really write all of that. Which, is fine. I don't mind the writing, i'm more surprised about the level resetting. Because in some RPG's, you keep the EXP. 

Levelling crafts in WoW is a step by step. You can do this at X, and then when you get to Y, you can do this new cool thing.

^ was how I thought crafting was here.

I agree with Tyger and Baldur. Like Azide and Baldur, I usually show all my crafts in one post. Until recently, that had been the case. However if we do have to in fact, go and recount our EXP and adopt the "resetting" system, that is going to throw a lot of crafters off. Like if I had to guess, like 80 % of the active crafters. I will continue to post one post for each craft as that is the only way of making the reset manageable and even then that's still a pain. I also feel for Baldur. For his to reset every rank would be down right ludicrous, it takes him ages as is to level up. 

Please clear this up soon...

I would like to point out that to hit rank 5, it would take me 40 days of crafting 8 perfects per day.

To hit Rank 4, it would take me 14 days of crafting 6 perfects per day

I have been a Merchant for 27 days and currently have 289 XP total

That's 11 XP per day.

That means, on average, it would take me about 60 days of daily crafting to hit the next rank, let alone the 60*12=720 goods it would required

It also means it would take me 200 days to get to rank 5, and thats including the additional crafts for a higher rank. 200*16=3200 goods. Put into perspective, that's 30% of the rolls of every player on this site working together for 3 months.

The point is that the leveling up system is supposed to be hard. To become a MASTER in your craft, it take a LONG time. Since you all aren't gripping the thought of another RPG's leveling up system, I'll put it in real life terms.

It take a VERY long time to master your profession in real life. Years. 

Is that something that is unobtainable? No. But it takes a while. Taking multiple days to get your level up should be required.

Mari did NOT come up with this on her own. In fact, it was a rule that was constant and just needed to be cleared up. The rule has not changed, it has been clarified and put into better terms.

The point is that the leveling up system is supposed to be hard. To become a MASTER in your craft, it take a LONG time. Since you all aren't gripping the thought of another RPG's leveling up system, I'll put it in real life terms.

It take a VERY long time to master your profession in real life. Years. 

Is that something that is unobtainable? No. But it takes a while. Taking multiple days to get your level up should be required.

Mari did NOT come up with this on her own. In fact, it was a rule that was constant and just needed to be cleared up. The rule has not changed, it has been clarified and put into better terms.

I am perfectly okay with mastering things taking a long time. I'm all for having long term goals.

I think going from 60 days to 200 days between ranks is too much. I pointed this out with the whole level 7-9 grind. I also think it's a bet unclear.

My recommendation would be to smooth things out a bit more. If your ideal time to master a profession is a year (which I think is a bit long, but if that's the staff's long term plan, than that's fine) then you should go backwards from there. I don't think the difference in ranking up between one to the next should be more than double the time. It has also been empirically shown on this site that no one is going to be able to sustain crafting every day, for an entire year. And you if someone can, then more power to them.

I also think it would be better to add the ranks together for cumulative totals, so it works like our post leveling system, rather than having a separate way of counting. Daeron made a good point in his explanation, but since character leveling doesn't work that way, I think the crafting system should agree with it.

Also, with this system, if I don't make rank 2 or 3, where are people who are fisherman or performs supposed to get their supplies from?

Also, currently, the Merchant gets nothing for leveling to rank 4. By the time i get there, I'm going to have more vouchers crafted than will ever be consumed by all the players on this site, past present, or future.

While I do agree with the rest of them about how hard crafting will be, however, can you at least edit the exp guide, as I am pretty sure that it was never specified it was a complete reset after each level. That way, we can actually know what the rule is, as many of us including myself never knew about that before hand.

Rank 1: 0 EXP --> 0

Rank 2: 20 EXP --> 20

Rank 3: 40 EXP --> 60

Rank 4: 80 EXP --> 140

This is like the exact same thing as the grandmaster skill, but that was specified in the guide that you needed 30 skill-points to hit grandmaster, but I don't recall seeing it about crafting.

So I'm not a Mentor Tailor??? but...but....I achieved rank 5 using the old system..with the X Total xp. Do we have to recalculate the ranks from 0? and all the items I've made....what happens then? I think it should have been specified when you posted the new system. Now, I believe the ones that used the old crafting system should check back their posts until the day the new system got adopted and start calculating their current rank from 0 XP adding the xp they made after the new system got implemented...

Again I say that the 0 XP reset should have been specified in the initial post. an alternative would be to reduce the xp for the last ranks.

Just to point out, it did used to be total exp, until the word was dropped out recently in the latest update released earlier this month. So, under the original rules, was the word 'total' suppose to be there, or was that just a typo, since I'm hearing that it some of the older players are saying that it was always been a reset.

http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/236-tutorials-professions-crafting-col/

http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/4016-cooking-and-merchant-beta/