Equipment tier Progression (UPDATED)

Weapon Scaling!  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea?

As we progress, obviously we will have to get stronger equipment with how enemies will also get stronger. I for one am not going to go fight Gleameyes or what not with a dinky lil spear that tickles them at best.

Thus I propose a relatively simplistic system that slots well into our current one which will progress equipment.

EDIT:

ALRIGHT, I had a brainwave and have made scaling SO much easier. Instead of increasing the slots equipment have, MOST enhancements will have their benefits scale on the same weapon Level system. Some Enhancements may NOT be affected to avoid breaking the balance of the game.

Quality and amount of slots they have remains the same as current system and are unaffected.

You craft equipment based on the Level material you get or drop based on the floors.

You get Level 1 drops/materials at Floors 1-10

You get Level 2 drops/materials at Floors 11-20

You get Level 3 drops/materials at Floors 21-30

etc.

When you craft equipment, it is of that level, so a Level 1 material makes a Level 1 equipment. A mob or whatever also would give Level 1 drops from Floor 5 lets say.

This equipment will always be that Level. So a Level 1 Dagger (Needle lets call it), would always be Level 1. Uniques however are always the best equipment, so will scale up in Levels as they go up. There may be also the opportunity for an item which upgrades the Level of an item, similar to say the one from Essence of Steel that upgrades the quality of it.

AN EXAMPLE:

Name: Damage

Cost: 1 Slot

Cap: 3

Effect: Adds (1 * Weapon Level) damage for every slot used.

Applicable to: Weapons

SO a Level 1 (from a weapon obtained Floors 1-10/Crafted from Level 1 materials) Perfect sword with 3 slots in DMG gives +3 dmg.

With a Level 2 Perfect sword though with 3 DMG enhancements, it becomes 2 * 3 = 6, so does 6 Damage.

Spoilered below are the blacksmith and tailor upgrades and how they would scale.

Blacksmith Enhancements

Name: Damage

Effect: Adds (1 * Equipment Level) damage for every slot used.

Name: Damage Mitigation

Effect: Removed (1 * Equipment Level) point of damage from every hit to you for every slot used. No matter how much damage mitigation you have, however, you will always take at least 1 point of damage.

Applicable to: Shields, Armor

Name: Paralyze

Cap: 2

Effect: Removed enemy action for 1 turn afterwards on a roll of 9-10 if one slot is used, and 8-10 if two slots are used. This only applies to natural rolls (unmodified)

Applicable to: Weapons, Shields

Name: Bleed

Effect: Activated on a roll of 9-10 with one slot, or 8-10 with two slots. Remove (2 * Equipment Level) points of damage for 2 turns for the enemy/mob.

Name: Thorns

Effect: Deals (X * Equipment Level) damage when Mob die/Enemy BD is a 6-8 (X being the amount of slots used)

Applicable to: Shields, armor

Name: Accuracy

Effect: Adds +(1 * Equipment Level) to the BD, but cannot cause a critical hit.

Name: Crafting Die

Cost: 3 Slots

Cap: 1

Effect: Adds +(1 * Equipment Level) to the CD.

Applicable to: Tools

Name: Ambition

Effect: Adds +(1 Equipment Level) EXP for every craft

Name: Unarmed Damage

Effect: Adds +(1 Equipment Level) damage for every slot used.

Applicable to: Armor (gauntlets/hand-wraps only)

Name: Keen

Effect: On an unmodified roll of 9-10, your next attack has a +(1 Equipment Level) BD. On a perfect item, you are granted a +(1 Equipment Level) BD to your next attack on a natural roll of 8-10

Name: Safe-Guard

Effect: On a successful block, the next hit from your opponent is mitigated by (X Equipment Level) (X being slots used). You MUST have a skill in Block to use this enhancement.

Applicable to: Shield

Name: Heavy Momentum

Effect: When you miss, gain a +(1 Equipment Level) dmg. This can stack up to the amount of slots used. The +dmg goes away after a successful hit. 

Applicable to: Armor

Tailor Enhancements

Name: Thorns

Effect: Deals (X Equipment Level) damage when Mob die/Enemy BD is a 6-8 (X being the amount of slots used)

Applicable to: Leather Armor

Name: Crafting Die

Effect: Adds +(1 Equipment Level) to the CD.

Name: Ambition

Effect: Adds +(1 Equipment Level) EXP for every craft

Applicable to: Clothing, Tools, Plushies

Name: Unarmed Damage

Effect: Adds +(1 Equipment Level) damage for every slot used.

Applicable to: Clothing (hand wraps only)

Name: Loot Die

Effect: Adds +(1 Equipment Level) to the loot die for every slot used

Applicable to: Clothing, Plushies

Name: Crafting Attempt

Cost: 3 Slot

Effect: Adds (1 Equipment Level) extra crafting attempt

Applicable to: Plushies

Name: Evasion

Effect: Adds a -(1 Equipment Level) to the MD or the enemy’s die for every slot taken. This ignores the damage mitigation rule of taking at least 1 point of damage.

Name: Savvy

Effect: Adds +(x Equipment Level) BD (X being your enchant slots used for this enchant) to your roll when your opponent fails to hit.

Name: Regen

Cost: 3 Slot

Effect: Heals you +(2 Equipment Level) after every hit from your opponent on a CD roll of 6 or higher

Name: Light Momentum

Effect: When you miss, gain a +(1 Equipment Level) to the BD. This can stack up to the amount of slots used. The +BD goes away after a successful hit. 

My problem with this is that it creates a lot of additional work for players and PST/GMs alike to keep track of which material came from which floor. Thus, as much as I like this distinction, it will be harder to implement unless there was a specific mat that can be found on a set range of floors or quest rewards. Other than that, a floor 1 and 25 iron ingot would have no differentiation at all. That said, I like the idea of progression for weapons to make them stronger for more enchantment abilities.

What about those that have obtained Unique's? What happens to their items being most superior due to accomplishing a great feat? Do they have to get above 4+ Stats or do they get boned? Honest question if it comes off rude or anything.

They will scale as you go up the floor as they are Uniques, Zero said Uniques will always be top tier.

Its actually made very sensible when you realise players have to clear the benchmark to progress the next 10 floors, so as a system makes total sense. I would go for a differentiation as well but materials are universal so that's hard to make.

I believe this makes sense, since if we go to the upper floors the monsters should get tougher, and with it our skills and weapons should be able to respond in kind. Of course I don't want to put more work on the moderating team, so I'm guessing to make it fair we need to add another line to the evaluation form.

Floor: (Floor number)

That way they can check the thread and cross-reference it with the item to make sure it's of the correct level. As for materials it might be we need to create a level system for materials and add it to the crafting process to make sure people aren't using lower level materials for crafting higher level items?

Calrex is right. The other thing to consider would be players needing to pass the benchmarks to make it to higher floors. That way after floor 10 there is no way they could get higher level materials unless they can make it to higher floors. That way the mods would not have to check everything except who makes the equipment.

The equipment does have to level up with the player in order to take on stronger bosses. That will also limit the people who would want to participate in a boss battle. Who would want to participate in a boss battle that does like 20 damage and 5 Mitigation with our current gear and stats.

• 3 months later...

This is actually very similar to the system that Baldur, Tyger and I were drafting back in the day. Obviously our current equipment will only get us so far, so scale is definitely a nice thing to have. The only additional thing I can think of is that somebody in our group had pitched the idea of a sort of material conversion system, almost like currency. For example, being able to convert between tier 1 materials and tier 2 materials, and the other way around in order to keep everything liquid. The conversion rate was never firmly decided, but you could probably work out a factor that might be workable.

Edited by Azide

I think Tristan mentioned there might be items in the future, should this be implemented, that can upgrade the level of an item, similar to how the essence of steel item upgrades an item's rank. 

I'm liking this idea, because it's a way for everyone to scale up with the boss fights without needing to do anything that requires extra work, like adding ranks to skills and the like. 

Edited by Calrex

This scaling is currently on the definite agenda, but can't promise anything on exact details (due to outdatedness of it) and when it will release.

There may be the possibility for essence of steel esque thing for levels, but no guarantee. As said before, floor/event boss drop unique equipment would scale so they are always the strongest.

The only issue I can think of for this would be 'why would anybody bother with lower level materials?'

What's to stop a level one player going to floor fifty (once unlocked) and immediately gathering all the high level materials in a non-combat thread or even earning a living? I do assume earning a living's bonus gives the floor level's materials too of course. It is not as if there is a level/stat limit on the weapons unlike in most MMO (SAO included) for equipment.

All that said, it is totally possible and I wouldn't complain if you just said "Doesn't matter" and just made every lower tier obsolete every set of floors :P