SAO-RPG Floor Clearing

Do you prefer an SAO experience based on speed in clearing the floors or storyline while clearing the floors?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer an SAO experience based on speed in clearing the floors or storyline while clearing the floors?

• Speed over Story
    • Story over Speed
    • A Balance of Both
    • Other (Please Share in the Comments)

I'm soliciting input from the player body as a whole, PLEASE do NOT vote with multiple accounts.

My question is this:

Does the player base, as a whole, prefer a more story-based experience as we all work through SAO-RPG or is clearing things as quickly as possible the preference?

Questions and Issues have been raised about an OOC Re-Spawn Mechanic of sorts that would permit players who's characters were killed (either via PK or some other way) to create a NEW character with a set amount of harvested SP from the previous character which would allow them to jump through several levels.

Personally, at the moment, I am NOT in favor of this idea. I'm open to having my opinion changed, of course, but I prefer to allow characters to grow organically and not to provide those kinds of advantages.

Given the large number of events (so far) that I have quite publicly attached my name to (and there will be MANY more of them) I think I've made it quite clear that I prefer storyline over speed. I prefer to RP where there's a story involved and not simply to get the most powerful possible character. I think the vast majority of RPers are of the same opinion, especially given the recent discussions about the proposed Goblin Wars and Calrex's proposed event awhile back in addition to the vast participation in Jomei's Spring Festival.

Monthly Bosses (Lyrica and Asterios being the first two) were specifically drawn up to help players advance more quickly. I've tried to, at least, provide some simple story with them to make them more than: "We show up. We slaughter mob. YAY LOOT! YAY LEVEL UP!"

I do have some ideas to do something similar, occasionally, on a much LARGER scale. A full storyline that would bring everyone together, if they wanted to be part of the group. I do mean everyone from @Calrex & @Takao on the bleeding edge of the Front Line all the way down to @Lost who is our very newest approved player (See Lost? The GM's do notice you. Live long and Prosper.) They would stay together for the whole Floor from Start to Finish.

Now, this would require a LOT of work on my part, and on the part of the staff as well. The story would need to be drawn up, multiple mobs created, everything balanced to provide challenge for such an ENORMOUS range of Player Levels, sign-up procedures, posting rules, rewards (thread and otherwise)... and so on and so forth. This would also, naturally, drastically slow down the progression on the floor where it was used. Case in point, we opened the 17th Floor within the last 3 days and @Takao has already found and spoken to the Boss. 

I promise you, I know beyond all doubt, that a story floor would NOT be completed in 3 Days. With the number of players that we have it's NOT possible.

Understanding all of this, the basic benefits and drawbacks, I'm interested in the feedback from the Community. Furthermore, regardless of the results of the poll I make no promises about there ever being a Story Floor created and used on the Forum, I want everyone to understand that.

So, please go ahead and weigh in.

If you want my opinion I would prefer a nice balance of both.

I enjoy being part of stories and I feel like the whole reason any of us are here is to tell our own stories. I'm not sure if the pace we're clearing floors at is really an issue or not though. It might seem like we're flying through them, but in the 8 or so months I've been here we've only made it through like... 6 floors. The trend now seems to be one or two per month. I wouldn't really mind slowing down, but I don't think there should be months and months in between each fight either.

I'm also not sure how far ahead the staff has planned for each floor and boss fight and such, but I imagine if we did slow down then they'd have at least a little more time to work on other cool stuff (*cough* monster arena *cough*).

Community events are cool too. Good way to break players out of their established groups.

Well, being an old-ish player with some inactivity stages (Again, sorry to those who got effected by them) I can say that I'm all for a more story driven forum rather then a competition to see who can become the strongest. I mean, the soul purpose of a RP forum is for story telling. If we wanted a fast paced, competitive style, then we'd just play our regular MMORPG's. And trust me, I know how it feels to feel somewhat insignificant because of my low level status, especially with the amount of time I've been here for. There comes a point when SAO-RPG may feel somewhat boring to those who are too low leveled to really make any impact with the famous Frontliner squad (Even though half of them are dead now)

My point being: We should still make systems that make the RP entertaining regardless of a player's level or skill. Otherwise things may get tedious. That's why I'm fully pro on the story driven idea with community events to flesh out our characters. That's my opinion anyways.

Take it or leave it, I'm still considered new here xD

I feel we should pace ourselves. Yes, the desire to get to the top as fast as possible is rightfully present, but if we outpace ourselves, we'll reach the end and then be left with nothing to do. I mean, realistically speaking it needs to end at some point, but should we really be speeding that process up instead of slowing it down? OOCly I mean. I am not talking IC stuff.

Now, I personally feel that we should not be churning out floor after floor. There should be a 'cooldown' period if you ask me. The calm before the storm, a time for people to explore and make threads in the newly discovered floor before we are making a mad dash to get into the next boss's room. I also find it a little iffy that one person can discover floor boss after floor boss, essentially making it their job when a new floor is unlocked instead of letting others try to do it. 

In short, story over speed, every single time.

I believe there should be a balance of both. A good story progression while clearing floors. Lets be honest with one another, this forum is fun, we know that. And we keep coming back to it for the community, the people and just stress relief. But one day, people will disappear, front liners come and go, more people may end up dieing? PKed? -shrugs- But what progress have we done in the past several months that makes up for that? We haven't even scratched a surface in the 100 floors. And who said its has to be over when we finish it? Aincrad can be renewed and the 100 floor castle can be started over. Not sure how well that would go for most people, but that's an idea. 

BUT seriously, we need to start really moving through floors but also keep with good story progression as well. I find a good balance to be more welcomed than placing the extremes over one or the other. I have a lot of plans I wish to fulfill with Opal, several of those plans coming to fruition because some players wanna play a more villainous role. As one of the players who started quite the controversy over some floor events, I am doing what I can with Laughing Coffin and making it a name on the forum for people to fear and dread, but also offering low level players an opportunity to be heroes in those threads as well. Maybe more player based stories where it effects the entire forum instead of relying on GMs to control everything. Perhaps acting more as a Guide rather than taking full control over things. But in either case, whatever you all decide to go with, I'll be more than happy to comply with. 

I am also FOR player harvesting; lets punish the characters, not the people who put time and effort into their characters. Some people don't have the Infinity Muse -cough-Cal-cough- Which means, once their character dies, they are done with the forum. So we wanna keep people relative in all things even if that means making some kind of reincarnation mechanic. Otherwise, this forum could get stale rather quickly. 

I forgot to mention!! How about some epic loot explosions as well? I am happy for the Sub Dungeons, great way to earn SP. But what about loot!? Where are the treasure boxes and the explosions of shiny things?? This is no Diablo game, but still...Give me meh loot! 

2 minutes ago, Mack said:

The way I'm interpreting a lot of what I'm seeing and reading in the results and comments is that "more story good, but not at the cost of a long term floor clearing slow down."

Is that a fair and accurate assessment?

You forgot loot explosions, but other than that. Yes, that is pretty fair assessmentization. 

Im saying a balance of both is what we could use. 

We need to remember, which from the votes that have been cast, most people can agree; this is a role playing site. The whole purpose of what we do it playing the characters we come up with and making stories with them. There is no race to clear the game, nor any sort of incentive in doing so. Story driven is what we truly need, it also keeps thgings more interesting and can create more bonds between players.

But at the same time, we cannot sit on the lower floors forever. So we should also be somewhat swift when clearing through floors. 
I think the pace that we are doing it at the moment should be fine. Its quick, about 2-3 weeks per floor. Gives everyone enough time to plan accordingly with levels and equipment, but also enough time to create stories in between. 

I think floor clearing and finding the boss room, exploring the labyrinth, etc.. is an enormous wasted potential on this site. It's a central activity on the frontline, but we basically skip it entirely. There's room there for a great, community focused event. I tried to address something like this back when I was a PST, but I got shot down. I look forward to seeing what you come up with Mack, you're doing great things so far IMHO.